The dates for the Grayson County Fall Festival "GCFF" will be Sept 29 & 30, 2012.
Since 1976 the Rugby Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department, Inc. and Grayson Highlands State Park have entertained tens of thousands of people each year with their live exhibits of Appalachian culture. Step back into a simple age when horses and mules ground cane into juice to be boiled into sorghum or molasses; when apple cider was the soft drink of the time; when fresh apples were cooked in a copper kettle over an open fire all day long to render apple butter; when Saturday night was reserved for fiddling; and making music with the neighbors. Such was the lifestyle of the early Appalachian pioneers..

Last fall's group hang & Hammock Demo at this rather large, yearly event was such a blast that people in our group were quickly ready to declare it an annual event.
I have been corresponding with Grayson Highlands State Park (GHSP) Ranger Marcia Holland about the arrangements. She talked with another GHSP Ranger, Kevin, who was also extremely helpful to our group last year, & here is the latest email from Marcia.

Kevin said “Heck yeah, we want them back for the Fall Festival!” I went ahead and booked the site at no charge for you. Warren Morgan was the one who booked it last year, so I just did it again in his name. He should be receiving a confirmation letter/email shortly.

Also, would anyone be interested in coming up to demo during the Great American Backyard Campout on 6/23? We have contacted a local outfitter and they are going to be showing off tents and packs, so we figured we should give you equal opportunity to lure people over to the dark side. We are also opening up the high country for camping that weekend, so I won’t be writing any tickets for rogue campers.

I think we are going to try to do the demos in the field at Massie Gap, but there are some hammock opportunities just across the fence (and in the shade!)
Marci

If you would be interested in talking part or just have questions about the "Fall Festival" or the "Great American Backyard Campout", this is the place.

I'm not familiar with the June event, but it sounds like fun too. If there is interest, we will start another planning thread for it.

Attendance Spreadsheet Link

Meal Planning Spreadsheet Link

Hammock Education Area Spreadsheet Link