Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Newb Central Florida and Florida Law for Hammocks

Hi guys, I am new to the whole hammock experience, I've always had hammocks in my house but it never crossed my mind that one was able to camp on a hammock until I found this forum.

Being a newbie I purchased a Eno DN (added Whoopie slings and straps) to give it a try but m thinking on getting a Warbonnet traveler DL. and probably a Noah tarp just to start.

One thing that really caught my attention when reading some posts was the Florida Statute that basically prohibits hanging a hammock in state parks, and this past 4th of July I went to Blue Springs with my family and decide to hang my hammock, after an hour a Park ranger/worker approaches me and tells me about this law and the possible harm that my straps (yes I have 1" nylon straps)would cause on the trees (he at least was very polite) and that the only way that the parks allow the use of a hammock on trees is by protecting the ropes/straps with a type of plastic or vinyl tubbing. He could not exactly tell me how they were or looked like, I tried to explain to him that my straps would not harm the trees, but he didn't buy it. So after I took my hammock down and waited a couple of minutes I decided to use a pair of beach towels and wrapped my straps with them to be able to create a type of a barrier between the straps and the trees. He later saw them but did not say anything. Have anyone here heard of this type of tubbing used to cover the straps or any other methods to try to protect the trees?

I will def appreciate any inputs on this subject as well as some info on places on where to hang here in Florida.

Thanks
    Last edited by juanchoman; 07-08-2012 at 17:39. Reason: title

• + New Posts