Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Hammocks are like cigarets, smoking just one may not get you hooked. After 2 or 3, you should be starting to get the craving. After a pack, your good and hooked.
    That's just the wrong analogy. Don't listen to this guy...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Images
    I toss and turn inside my Hennessy Explorer UL all of the time and love it. Even to the point my underquilt will end up off of me hanging beside the hammock if it is not secured to the tie outs on both sides.

I tried a pad in the beginning, and could not keep it under me. I went on to make a SPE(segmented pad extender) that was a little wider than I think most, but then didn't like the way it felt in the hammock.

I had great success with the HH Super Shelter. Other than the space blanket crinkling when I move and it keeping me warm You wouldn't even know it is on the hammock.

I am trying UQ's now. So far, once I learned I had to attach them to the tie outs or risk having it slip off in the middle of the night, they have done OK. I don't like the feel of the hammock as much with the UQ so far. The quilt squeezes a little on the sides/shoulders, and I can feel the bottom end of the quilt under my legs.

Good luck on your search for what works. I would recomend a group hang as well if there is one you can make it to.

Ragnall

Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post

I tried a pad in the beginning, and could not keep it under me.
    What about a Big Agnes system? Un-insulated bottom of bag with sleeve for insulated pad. This is what I sleep in on the ground, and its VERY roomy and comfortable. Something like that would not slip out from under you, as it's part of your bag.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    That's just the wrong analogy. Don't listen to this guy...
    haha.. i'm glad you understood it was just a joke.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I have a couple of pals who still struggle to get a good nights sleep on the first night of a trip, I've never had any bother though.

At least you've tried it, that's the main thing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thermocouple View Post
    What about a Big Agnes system? Un-insulated bottom of bag with sleeve for insulated pad. This is what I sleep in on the ground, and its VERY roomy and comfortable. Something like that would not slip out from under you, as it's part of your bag.
    My wife used the BA bags with an Exped Downmat when we first started using the Warbonnet Blackbirds, and she had great success with the system. It's definitely something to consider if you want to keep using a pad.

Images
    I did not have the BA set up. I thought about getting one, but with the trouble I had getting into the sleeping bag in the hammock I quickly dropped that idea. I just had the pad in the bottom of the hammock with some fleece over it and my sleeping bag spread out on top like a quilt.

Ragnall

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    thermocouple,

You and this fella have something in common.
    Elk finds hammock anything but relaxing

Images
    Yep I kept my tents, will be going back to my MSR Hubba. I dont think giving it another try is what is called for. I really cannot lay in one position all night, I really do need to be able to move around to stay comfortable. My sleep style just doesnt seem compatible with hammock hanging. It sucks because I really wanted this to work, I was excited about it - I even made whoopie slings. But if it doesnt work it doesnt work.

I did get a ton of great info on this site though, and for that I thank you all.
    Sorry it didn't work for you, but it simply does not for some folks. My 1st night sucked big time, although I passed out easily enough, but woke up shivering. Luckily for me after a few nights I was hooked and have not looked back. But the fact is, if you are comfy on the ground, that knocks out ( for me ) at least 75% of the reason for going to a hammock in the first place. I mean, if you are already comfy, then what is the point?

It is true it can often be easier to find a place to hang a hammock than trying to find flat, rock/root free, dry ground, at least if you are not in developed camping spots. And I like not having to crawl into a tent and being off the ground - high and dry - during heavy rains. Then again, sometimes it would be nice to just pitch a tent out in the meadow away from all the widow makers, so there can be pros and cons both ways. Hey, whatever works!

One thought, in case you are ever feeling like looking into it more in the future. I find it extremely quick and easy to flop from side to side ( a little on my side or a lot even almost on my stomach) or just going flat on my back in a JRB bridge hammock. It is not really much different than turning over in my bed. But, there is not a lot of room in the shoulders unless you use a pad with it ( took some getting used to for me, now I don't care) when flat on your back- especially in the deluxe model. The new Warbonnet model bridge has a lot more shoulder room, but not sure how it's over all feel is compared to the JRB. But you might be one of those folks who does a lot better in a bridge hammock.

Any way, happy tenting to you! Like Shug said, main thing is just getting out there with whatever gear get it done for you.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Hammocks are like cigarets, smoking just one may not get you hooked. After 2 or 3, you should be starting to get the craving. After a pack, your good and hooked.
    +1 and i might add...dang funny!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast