When I was first starting out as a hiker, a worker at the backpacking store turned me on to The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. I am sure many of you have read this book, and have benefited from it's wisdom as I have. But, since 2001 when the book was published, the backpacking world has changed significantly. Not only are folks using fabrics not mentioned in the book, but hammocking was not as prevalent, and therefore not mentioned.

We need a book that can sit on the shelf at the backpacking shops around the country that will direct the masses toward considering hammock camping as an option for their adventures they are planning. These folks are not on WB or HF searching for advice on what to buy. They are at the stores listening to salespeople who are selling products based on experience. Those salespeople are likely folks who have read The Complete Walker!

To put a book on the shelf may be the way to get folks interested in our way of doing things, and also give a boost to some of our friends in the hammock related gearmaking buisness. I am no author, but I am throwing this idea out there in hopes that it will get the ball rolling somehow!

I think the book could be easily compiled with the help of manufacturers who could showcase their gear and philosophy. Individual contributions of ideas along with information drawn from the forum would also likely be a good source of material.

I look forward to your ideas!