In another thread someone used the term "Noob Setup". This made me "cross with the internet." Consequently I derailed a thread - so I brought it over here.

Sure there are ways to minimise weight, minimise bulk, maximise comfort and minimise cost and we all compromise on one or more of these to some degree. And through experience and knowledge we can improve our setups. However the attitude that there is a "noob setup" is one I find a little abhorrent. Hammocking isn't a sport, you can't train for it. You can't look at the equipment someone is using and judge them for it.

Can you?

"Meh, you're using webbing straps direct to a mass produced hammock bought in a high street store! Noob!"

"Mine is hand knitted by indian squaws using spider silk and deploys so quickly I actually travel back in time - that's right it saves me time!"

I find this goes against the pervading forum ethos of

Hang Your Own Way.

I have more admiration for the people that make do, or make. Those that have one hammock not 10. It's not about the gear, it's not about the materials. It's about the experiences.

Let's hear it for the low budget, the simple, the homespun. The gathered end blankets. The bargain bins. The camping store specials.

I've downgraded - I bought a cheap no frills hammock. It's 3m long, its 1.8m wide and it's comfy. It was cheap, mass produced, cheaper than my other two hammocks. It has no bug net, no zips and packs tiny. It's just as comfy as a Hennessey (more so in my opinion).

Noob and Proud. Anyone else gone back to basics?