Well we finally have some good weather here in SW VA so I want to take advantage of it and get my first hang in. I've already taken my new Clark NA out today to get used to hanging/taking it down so I think I'm ready to sleep in it for a night

The idea is to hike along the New River Trail and go somewhere off the trail near the river. I'm planning on parking in Allisonia SW of Claytor Lake at a public parking lot there with access to the trail. Then I'm going to take the trail SW and try and find a spot between Allisonia and Barren Springs which has some pretty wooded areas along the river and stretches about 6mi between the two.

The only thing I'm unsure about right now is whether or not I'm allowed to camp out along the river or if I have to camp at one of the designated campsites along the river. I'm just doing one night and I don't want to be in a campsite or have to pay money for one night. If I can't do it on the river I'll probably just head somewhere in the Jefferson National Forest which is also in my area. I need to find out how cold I'm gonna be at night with the gear I've got atm

Thanks in advance!