Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .

Tough Trail up North in Upper Lower Michigan . Pic Heavy

Fourteen guys showed up to camp in the snow and rain and wind and cold and sunshine and wintry mix . I anticipated about half that many after the rain was forecast . That trail sure looked easier on paper . I really did not want to use snowshoes but about a hundred yards down the trail I soon learned that one , don't wear a pack if you're trying to not break throught the crust and two wear snow shoes if you're trying to not break throught the crust .
    Next year we decided that Carp lake in about a mile is really a beautiful spot too .
    I know , I know the hikers among us are wondering " what's the big deal "
    Really if you can get to camp in an hour or less that gives you plenty of time to do day hikes or fish or whatever .

There is just another dimension to winter camping that is hard to explain . The snow can make a ghetto look presentable and a woods look like a fairy land . Sure there is an element of macho " hey I can survive anywhere man " but there's a lot more to it then that .

Every creature that moves in the winter tells you a story in the snow and once you get your gear dialed in I swear you can sleep outside in the winter like you never slept before . If you could just get a 12 hour bladded somewhere it would be perfect .

Headed north past the shanty towns to Huron Natl. Forest . About 35 miles east of Grayling .

Found a hilly crusty trail back to the campsight .

Lonetracker and Donk hiking down the trail . Just one of Donks trips, man he likes to hike .

Doesn't look that steep you say . Try hauling a 70 pound pulk up it with snowshoes .

About half the group on a rainy Sat morn . This was before we rolled the fire ring down the hill and built a decent fire . ( Yes we put it back )
    Last edited by riverjoe; 01-13-2014 at 23:45.

• + New Posts