Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
water bottle with holes in the lid...GENIUS!!
making one right now (man, I'm easily impressed cause I have no imagination of my own!)
Best trick she ever taught me. If I'm right about the 'friend' in question, I laughed at her when she pulled her 'shower' out of her pack. Still have the taste of my words in my mouth from having to eat them. It has become one of my favorite little tricks. Although, these days I just carry an extra lid with holes opposed to carrying a totally separate shower bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
okay places to hang as someone else mentioned sleeping near a stream is great but you have bugs to contend with. try to place the hammock were it is going to catch any air and set the tarp accordingly if your in a hilly or mountain area try to pitch the hammock and tarp close to the edge of them as it almost always has air movement off of it. I have also found that if you have a good stand of pine tree's that it is often cooler in them than it is under other types of trees. I contribute this to the fact that the needles on the ground do not let the heat build up on the ground. ( I stayed at a holiday inn express last night) I don't have a degree in forestry so don't hold me to that.
This is good advice regardless of the season. Site selection should be the thing we all pay attention to the most. Sure, sometimes there is a place to hang that disregards all the rules about site selection, but the view is fabulous. Caution should be thrown to the wind form time to time! But, when the weather is bad (hot, cold, or wet) site selection can be the difference between and good night and a rotten one. I remember being very cold one night somewhere in NC. I finally got to the point that I couldn't take it anymore and went in search of a better location. A whole 40' away, up the hill a little, I noticed a big difference in the ambient temp. I moved my hammock and tarp and snoozed through the night. I guess I was originally camped in an area that was collecting the cold air. A little higher on the slope and all was well. It pays to pay attention.