Just a brief report about last weekend.

My scout troop went down to Clements Scout Camp this past weekend for our District Camporee. With puffing of chest and strutting about the office, I am pleased to report that we took first place in four seperate events and first place overall for the second year in a row.

Friday night, the skys opened up on the way there. It was raining so hard, I had to slow down to below 40 mph. I thought we were going to get soaked while setting up camp. But, the gods were smiling on us. The rain stopped and all was well. We arrived at camp around 9PM, set up camp and had them in bed before midnight. All right, it was 5 minutes to midnight, but they were in before the stroke of 12.

Here are some links to the pictures of my hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...s&cutoffdate=1

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...s&cutoffdate=1

I use a MacCat DeLuxe for a tarp. It's folded over so you can see the hammock and under quilt. The quilt is my homemade JRB ORM knockoff. I call it the gray ghost. I use a JRB nest for my top quilt. With the addition of a weathershield, I've had this setup down to 30 degrees.

Back to the weekend! About 1:30 AM, we were entertained with a light show. There was about a 3 second delay between flash and the crack of the thunder. Very fun. We did get a little rain, but nothing serious. The MacCat has yet to let me down. Temps on Saturday morning were in the mid 50's. I laid without the Nest completely covering me until the very early hours of the morning. I slept in just my undershorts. I woke once for a bio break and again about 7 or so for breakfast. Eggs in a bag, banana, OJ, hot cider and a bagel. Yummy.

Sunday morning was a bit cooler. The low was in the upper 40's but warmed quickly when the sun came up. I wore the same sleepwear (yes, I put on a clean pair before bed) but made a couple of minor mistakes prior to bed. I left my tarp folded over before going to the campfire, so things were a little clammy when I climbed in. I also neglected to check the ends of the underquilt. The 7 or 8 degrees colder was enough to wake me in the middle of the night for a bio break as I was chilled on the backside. I adjusted things for a better fit and all was well.

Good food, good company and out in the woods. What could be better??