Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY Test, Bugnet/Tarp In progress
    Images

MWM Seeks silky sleeping companion!

Figured I'd get some responses if I wrote it like a personal ad

Hello All, after lurking for a while I thought I'd post my question and draw upon the wisdom of those more knowledgeable than I.

I'm a big fellow (6'4" and clocking in at around 375 despite my attempts to change it and I'm looking at getting into Hammock Camping. in order to get a feel for what could work and what wouldn't work I make a instant hammock (a even simpler version of the testhammock on risk's site) and made some discoveries.

1 - a 52" x 120" table linen table cloth from my linen service when held by webbing and a larks head knot on both sides actually holds me off the ground (this was a fun experiment and I'm guessing clearly outside the guidelines for usage created when the table cloth was made )

2 - The aforementioned table cloth is neither long enough or wide enough for me to do much more than just lounge in (when lying flat the fabric only just started to curve around the tops of my shoulders/arms, and my feet were sitting atop the knot in the linen)

The test hammock appeals to me and I was considering picking up some fabric to give it a shot, however I'm now concerned that 60" wide will not cover much more than the material I tried tonight. Do they sell bolts of material wider than 60"? I was dragged into a lot of fabric stores as the child of a Mother with a craft sale business, but I did my best not to pay attention at the time!

My budget for getting into this arena is small until I'm sure its something that I want to do long term and the current money situation turns around, but I'm looking at which hammocks / materials for creating a test/entry level hammock on the lower end of the pricing scale would be feasible for someone with my increased caloric storage capacity

I'd love to head you all off at the pass and call Brandon up and order up a custom BB, however Mrs. Rythos is uninterested in any significant investment in this area at this time.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!

Ry
    Last edited by Rythos; 06-18-2009 at 06:06.

• + New Posts