While driving home from my weekend hang (and work detail repairing lean2s and outhouses) a theory flashed before me. Many of us have experienced back condensation when using a ccf, or some other vapor barrier against our back. It makes sense why condensation occurs. The drive home was hot and sunny and I noticed my back was getting sweaty against the car seat when I contemplated why this doesn't occur with ground dwellers. A person on the ground using a ccf or vapor barrier should also experience condensation. Some perhaps do. A possible reason it is so common in hammockers came to me in a flash. We don't toss and turn. A person who is uncomfortable while sleeping will be constantly changing postions in an attempt to get comfortable, these motions allow for the mositure to escape from being exposed. While in a hammock, I very quickly find that sweet spot and my body doesn't move until I awake. Using a ccf, I experience some condensation. I know I sleep much better hanging than I do in bed, where I toss and turn.

In conclusion:

Hammocks=more comfort=little/no position changes=condensation with ccf.

Ground=less comfort=changing positions=little/no condensation.

Your thoughts?