Last year's hammock gathering at the Riverside Campground in Watoga State Park was so well received, I thought it would be fun to meet there in October again - not for a full-scale MAHHA-type event, but just folks hanging in a beautiful place and sharing stories around a campfire after paddling on the lake, biking the Greenbrier River Trail, or hiking some of the park's trails. There are at least 8 hiking loops from 1.5 to 6 miles, and some of these can be combined to make longer hikes. I originally planned to do a pre-hike into the park on the Allegheny trail, arriving Saturday afternoon, but on reflection I've decided to spend more time enjoying the trails right there. I'll be arriving Friday morning so I can hike around the lake Friday afternoon (and maybe fish some), then meet up with other hangers at the campground and see who wants to do a Saturday loop hike (or two). I'm hoping we'll get a late September cold snap to bring out the reds as the leaves start to turn (the yellows are already there in the leaves, masked by chlorophyll). Last year the park looked like this in September.
watoga_lake_9-25-2013.jpg honeybee_trail.jpg
The 12 "non-electric campsites" at Watoga's Riverside Campground accommodated 50+ hangers last year, and I'd expect a smaller group this October, so we should have plenty of room. After October 1st there are no reservations. We are allowed 6 people per site, but I think 4 hammocks is a better estimate. Campsites are $20 per night, so camping will probably be about $10 per person for two nights. (No raffle and no potluck planned for this hang.) Watoga Park has received rave reviews. Papa Smurf called it "this hidden gem of a place."

watoga_-_riverside_campground_map.jpg watoga_park_map.jpg watoga_park_trail_descriptions.jpg brooks_arboretum_map.jpg brooks_arboretum_trails.jpgPark brochure here.

There's a bonus - a post-hike. On Sunday, October 5th, I'll be heading for the Cranberry Wilderness - only 20 minutes by car from Watoga - to do one of my favorite hikes there. It's a one-nighter, but I could be talked into doing more. Folks on their way to MAHHA at PGF might like to join me. It's a chance to see some wild, beautiful country. (No hot showers like they have at Watoga.)