One of the most common thread types that I see here on HF is associated with, "Will I be comfortable with X, Y, and Z in my set up?" The real answer for most folks is, "It depends."

Why? Because each of us is different from each other. That doesn't mean that each of us can't give general information about a product; it just means that each of us is a slightly different size, has different habits, different metabolisms, and different preferences. All of which makes each of our set-up comfort zones slightly different.

The one question that often comes up and is somewhat troubling to me when I see it is, "Will I be okay at X temperature or in Y weather with these particular items." The reason that this is troubling some of the time is that it is asked about temperatures and weather conditions that have the potential to kill someone who is unprepared for them--50* and pouring rain, 33* and sleeting with no way to make a fire, -20* with wind chill, etc.

It's important to know your gear and your skills under such conditions; that knowledge may literally save your life. Which brings me to backyard testing...

"Backyard" testing doesn't necessarily need to be in an actual back yard. Instead, it can be done anywhere that mirrors the back country conditions you expect--as long as the ability to get to a safe shelter in very little time, with very little effort is existent. Car camping, yard camping, camping near a shelter, even bringing an extra set of equipment you know works into the back country are all potential "backyard" testing methods.

Backyard testing is especially important when it comes to insulation and weather protection systems (quilts, pads, vapor barrier sleep systems, tarps, undercovers, hammock socks, the list goes on and on), as these are what keep you warm and dry in bad weather when your metabolism is at its lowest ebb. Investment in time and effort here will help keep you from being too cold, wet, and miserable to enjoy a trip. Heck, it may even save your life!

So, my point is: if you're considering trying out a new piece of equipment that varies significantly from what you're used to, try it somewhere safe before venturing out ten miles from the nearest road. It's definitely worth it.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms? Badly-thrown rotten fruit? Please discuss anything you might have to add to this!

Hope it helps!