Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Thanks Bomber, Its a dream of mine to sleep in my hammock under the Aura Borealis. Ive always wanted to see them in person since I was a little kid. Man winter is barely finished, summer hasent even started yet. And Im already ready for winter to come back so I can order a winter incubator. ENjoy the new toy Bomber
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Thanks Bomber, Its a dream of mine to sleep in my hammock under the Aura Borealis. Ive always wanted to see them in person since I was a little kid. Man winter is barely finished, summer hasent even started yet. And Im already ready for winter to come back so I can order a winter incubator. ENjoy the new toy Bomber
    Thankx LRR I've also been dreaming my whole life about seeing the aurora borealis, but no luck so far
    At the moment i enjoy both the cold, my new toy and the fact that my new toy will be comfortable up to the 60's and then i have my IX for going light in the summer and to boost at winter - perfect!

And a big sorry to Jenny & Adam if i gave you chock I'm very happy with your product!
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

This thread is a poor representation of Hammockgear's products. From a glance, it looks like you are knocking them. Most people skim threads, that being the case, this slants a negative spin on HG where it shouldn't.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    @The_Saint
    It made you look closer
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    This thread is a poor representation of Hammockgear's products. From a glance, it looks like you are knocking them. Most people skim threads, that being the case, this slants a negative spin on HG where it shouldn't.
    Although the title could have been better the subject of some of us with heavy HG-UQ's in cold weather are having an issue with the current shockcord suspension is a fact.

Yes peeps are finding DIY fixes such as shug's mod. I for one would like to see the leading UQ mfg'er come up with a solution.
    That was the reason I joined in this thread. How else will HG know some of us are having trouble.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

saggy shock cord

Howdy everyone!

First of all thanks to Bomber for scaring the daylights out of me. LOL. It is all good though. I am glad you are happy with your Incubator.

Now, let's see if we can address your setup. In the picture you sent it appears that you in fact do not have main shock cord suspension as tight as it should be. This becomes even more critical in the colder weather because of the fact that shock cord does lose some of it elasticity in those bitter temperatures.

The standard shock cord suspension for the Incubator is 14'. This is so the user can fit it to some of the longer hammocks out there. For many of the vendor hammocks, the suspension will be a little long. The best way to adjust the suspension length is to just keep adding overhand knots on the same end as the original knot. Just continue shortening it in this manner (about every 4 inches or so) until it snugs up. When it all tightened up it "lift" the empty hammock up somewhat. There is enough differential built into the quilt so the tight quilt will not cause any down compression.

Regarding end channel shock cords. If the footbox is too tight you will find that the feet can sometimes pop out of the quilt. If the head end is too tight it can introduce a slight gap between the quilt and the user. Everyone is a little different and we each lay a little more or less on the diagonal so there is a little tweaking in the initial adjustments of the quilt.

Thanks for all your kind words guys. I also appreciate the feedback I get from the field because it really does keep me up at nights with ideas bouncing around in my noggin. A few of them just might be hitting the "shelves" soon....

~Stormcrow
    Last edited by stormcrow; 02-25-2011 at 18:52.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Thanks Stormcrow. I am waiting for my UQ and this will help me in gettting it set up right. I have never used or even seen an UQ, so TY
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Silnylon
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    I am waiting on the arrival of my Incubator and have been monitoring this thread. It seems like the easiest thing to do is to make the shock cord adjustments as needed, but I am curious about "Triangle Thingies" from AHE.

Would these be an "as good" solution to the problems of gaps or slippage of the footbox?
    I might just have to wait and play with solutions for myself, but thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with them (or if this is even a possible solution or proper use of them?).

Thanks,

~Mindwalk

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindwalk View Post
    I am waiting on the arrival of my Incubator and have been monitoring this thread. It seems like the easiest thing to do is to make the shock cord adjustments as needed, but I am curious about "Triangle Thingies" from AHE.

Would these be an "as good" solution to the problems of gaps or slippage of the footbox?
    I might just have to wait and play with solutions for myself, but thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with them (or if this is even a possible solution or proper use of them?).

Thanks,

~Mindwalk
    I can not recall an instance where someone has had good results with the triangle thingies on a FULL length quilt. I think it might pose some problems because the end of the quilt is already fairly close to the end of the hammock. It seems like there would be too much "up" pull and not enough "out" pull if they were to be used on the full length quilt. Kind of hard to describe clearly. I have not personally used them so I can not be sure. Maybe there are some folks out there that DO use them with a full length quilt that can chime in.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast