DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    For the record: I did have an ENO tarp. Same thing: had a gift card. I sold it shortly after I bought it and made my own. Their guy lines are crap too. The core will come through the sheath very easily. You'll end up buying new ones anyway.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I agree, although I don't think they named it to rip off the SF, since all their other tarps have "fly" at the end too. Still, I hope people do research before dropping cash on it so they can find the SF and get a better tarp while supporting a cottage vendor.
    ENO's are for people who haven't done the research yet. The thing that makes this hobby so expensive to some folks is that they spend a lot of money on inferior products, then get out and see folks who have either paid that price and gotten better stuff, or folks who did their research and got the good stuff right away.

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    The reason I'm considering it is because I may have a gift card for REI in the near future - so if I was 100% out of pocket on the deal I would likely go with the Superfly for exactly those reasons (and I'm holding off on the purchase until I know for sure). However, I couldn't find anything on the eno housefly other than those two pages. I thought maybe someone here had at least seen one in an REI or something.

One (very minor) note, it seems that the ENO tarps come with guy lines, something that the Superfly does not. Again, in this ENO seems to be aimed at the "off the shelf" purchaser, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I have and am happy with their guardian bug net - it has worked well for me so far. A coworker of mine has and is happy with another of their tarps, which I'm hoping to borrow for an upcoming hang.
    Here's the specs for the ENO tarp you're looking at for $139 at REI:

Weight 27 oz.
    Material(s) Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon w/PU
    Unfolded dimensions (L x W) 10' 6" x 10'
    Best use Family/car camping & backpacking

Here's the specs for a Hennessy Hex, which you can also get from REI for $79:

Best use Backpacking
    Material(s) Coated polyester
    Dimensions 144 x 120 inches
    Weight 1 lb. 12 oz.

It has a ridgeline that is 18" longer than the ENO, weighs only 1 ounce more, and is $60.00 less.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Here's the specs for a Hennessy Hex, which you can also get from REI for $79:

Best use Backpacking
    Material(s) Coated polyester
    Dimensions 144 x 120 inches
    Weight 1 lb. 12 oz.

It has a ridgeline that is 18" longer than the ENO, weighs only 1 ounce more, and is $60.00 less.
    I already have (and like very much) a hennessy hex. I've been trying to decide what to do because I would like to try out doors on a tarp for colder weather camping. The hex did great in the downpour that was my last camping trip but the weather was warm and there was not a lot of wind.

What I'm trying to do here IS research so I don't make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    For the record: I did have an ENO tarp. Same thing: had a gift card. I sold it shortly after I bought it and made my own. Their guy lines are crap too. The core will come through the sheath very easily. You'll end up buying new ones anyway.
    Are you saying their tarp was crap or just the guy lines? That's an important distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I agree, although I don't think they named it to rip off the SF, since all their other tarps have "fly" at the end too. Still, I hope people do research before dropping cash on it so they can find the SF and get a better tarp while supporting a cottage vendor.
    I like the cottage vendors and think they provide great service and products. Supporting them is a good thing. ENO is located in my home state, so I don't feel bad supporting them either.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I already have (and like very much) a hennessy hex. I've been trying to decide what to do because I would like to try out doors on a tarp for colder weather camping. The hex did great in the downpour that was my last camping trip but the weather was warm and there was not a lot of wind.

What I'm trying to do here IS research so I don't make a mistake.
    If that's the case, you'd do better getting a set of Grizz Beaks from 2QZQ or doors from Wilderness Logics, then spend your REI money on something spiffier than a tarp.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Are you saying their tarp was crap or just the guy lines?
    The guy lines were crap. The tarp was constructed well, but poorly designed (dryfly) imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    The guy lines were crap. The tarp was constructed well, but poorly designed (dryfly) imo.
    Ah, yes, that one looks, um, well, odd. Not what I'd want - hex or doors for me.

Still deciding what to do but probably going to see what I can find in the scrap/discount cloth bin to see if something will work for DIY grizzbeaks in the short term.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    If that's the case, you'd do better getting a set of Grizz Beaks from 2QZQ or doors from Wilderness Logics, then spend your REI money on something spiffier than a tarp.
    Ill second that, love my grizz beak, if only i had bought 2.....

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    My local REI has tons of Hennessy stuff hanging right alongside ENO.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Ah, yes, that one looks, um, well, odd. Not what I'd want - hex or doors for me.

Still deciding what to do but probably going to see what I can find in the scrap/discount cloth bin to see if something will work for DIY grizzbeaks in the short term.
    It was a good concept. I imagined it as a diamond fly with close-able beaks. Unfortunately the cat cut's were way to deep for my liking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast