WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I already have a structural ridgeline...

based on all the feedback, two styles are raising to the top of my list:

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    The tube style is the one I'm liking best. The one I made has cinch cords at either end. I like the full wrap I get, seems to keep the pesky bugs away from the underside to. I hate hearing the skeeters buzzing right next to my head. Skeeters on the other side of the sil are loud.
    The tube was super easy to build.
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    It has pockets to stuff anything in to weigh it down (gear, rock, stick... anything - no need to carry even a few quarters of extra weight) - doesn't take much for the netting to hug the hammock, no matter how you "move about the cabin". I like that it is completely removable, though I do personally prefer the permanently attached netting systems. This netting is velcro'd on at the "V", and hangs loose along the majority of your hammock side - easy in, easy out.
    I like the simplicity of the tube, but it is a single-purpose item.. (darn unitaskers) But it Does have the advantage of "covering your butt" so-to-speak.

The places I go don't get terribly warm or muggy in summer (comparatively speaking to you AT hikers) The partial-velcro attached cover could be augmented with a velcro-on (or roll-up) flap of ripstop, converting this to a 1/2 sock, or top cover. (similar to what I use in "cold" weather today)

The complexity of the design isn't daunting.. I should be able to crank this out in a weekend... Since I sewed a footbox on my hammock to keep my feet and topquilt in, I might just velcro one side on, or maybe even zipper the middle section on my exit side and forget the pockets all together...

Maybe the answer to get the best of both would be to have a piece of netting that covers the underside down to my underquilt. It would take less than a yard of material to extend that protection so I don't get my face/shoulders bit from below... Hmm... somewhere I have some green ripstop somebody sold me... Who could that have been?

Or maybe I should save my nickels for that WBBB I've been drooling over... but I have so much fun making my own gear...

Thanks everybody for the ideas!

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    [/QUOTE]

I really like this design. I'm contemplating making a new hammock & new bugnet, but would like to avoid velcro & zippers altogether.

On the "triangle" portions of ripstop, would it be feasible keep things square and include a drawsting channel on the ends? Any forseeable drawbacks to this approach?
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lobby View Post
    I really like this design. I'm contemplating making a new hammock & new bugnet, but would like to avoid velcro & zippers altogether.

On the "triangle" portions of ripstop, would it be feasible keep things square and include a drawsting channel on the ends? Any forseeable drawbacks to this approach?
    I think that's a great idea - in fact, it's just what I've been planning to try next. That, and have a piece of DWR ripstop that can be snapped over the bug netting area and work as an overcover if desired.

If you made one end of the rectangle/end channel is such a way that the corners can be connected or disconnected, then it can be unclipped from one end and bunched up in a stuff sack at the other end without having to undo your suspension. (Does that make sense?)

The season for netting is upon us - I look forward to all the innovative solutions that show up this year.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was thinking about running some leftover spectra line through the channel and then using a small cord lock to tighten it. That way, I could leave the draw cord untied, but still run the ends back through the cord lock before putting it away.

I have plenty of leftover DWR ripstop to make the side pockets, but I've also considered adding a few grosgrain loops on each side and connecting shock cord with mitten hooks underneath.

Both sound like fun mini-projects, so I may end up ordering enough NoSeeUm to do both.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lobby View Post

Instead of a rectangle, or the triangle sclittlefield's original used, I think I'm going to try it with trapezoidal shaped end pieces. Assuming that I make them big enough and with the rproper angle (think I'll do a mockup using cheap muslin, to get the fit right) you can put a cord channel at the small flat end so that it can cinch around the suspension, and a few inches of velcro/snaps/hook&eyes/whatever to attach the angled ends of the trapezoid to each other. That way no velcro or other fasteners need to be permanently attached to the hammock at all, but it still secures on each end in a fashion that effectively seals it off. You'll in essence end up with a cone on each end, that comes apart for easy removal. Add in a few loops of some such on the underside in the center, to keep it centered on the ridgeline, and then you can flip one side up and over for when you want it to be more opened up. Sound doable?

Oh, and what's the best way to sew ripstop to noseeum netting?

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Oh, and what's the best way to sew ripstop to noseeum netting?
    I've had decent luck with just folding the bugnet over 1/2" once and sewing it or do a roll hem on it. Try not to stretch it, because it will get much longer in a hurry. I may pin it in 3-4 spot over a 10' length, mainly to make the ends of the bugnet match the ends of the ripstop. I rarely pin anything.

I'm sure there are prettier and more professional seams, but it works and it's quick.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I made a 1/2 bug net, 1/2 wind sock. Here's the post. If all your stuff is DIY, then this would be a piece of cake for you. Basically the bug net is draped over the ridge line, 3/4+ of the way down is velcroed to the sock, and 1/4- is draped to the ground. 4 four inch pieces of velcro to a side. Then, a shock cord, a grosgrain loop, and a mini biner are used to "buckle" the middle under you after you get in. I've been using this for several years now and no bugs!!!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3067

The sock part has really come in handy. On a number of cold nights, I've laced the baby up (really easy) and slept snug as a bug (no pun intended).

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Instead of a rectangle, or the triangle sclittlefield's original used, I think I'm going to try it with trapezoidal shaped end pieces. Assuming that I make them big enough and with the rproper angle (think I'll do a mockup using cheap muslin, to get the fit right) you can put a cord channel at the small flat end so that it can cinch around the suspension, and a few inches of velcro/snaps/hook&eyes/whatever to attach the angled ends of the trapezoid to each other. That way no velcro or other fasteners need to be permanently attached to the hammock at all, but it still secures on each end in a fashion that effectively seals it off. You'll in essence end up with a cone on each end, that comes apart for easy removal. Add in a few loops of some such on the underside in the center, to keep it centered on the ridgeline, and then you can flip one side up and over for when you want it to be more opened up. Sound doable?
    Sounds very doable! Very. Velcro might do a better job not allowing bugs in, just keep in mind how it likes to adhere to bug netting... can be a pain.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Sounds very doable! Very. Velcro might do a better job not allowing bugs in, just keep in mind how it likes to adhere to bug netting... can be a pain.
    What about Omni tape?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    What about Omni tape?
    Works OK ... not as strong a bond as velcro from my experience.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast