Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images

First meeting of the HWC coming up

I was at a planning meeting for a family-oriented Scout camp coming up in a couple of weeks and we were talking about ways to keep down the number of parent tents. I suggested that my wife could tent with another leader's wife and she replied, "It'll be the first annual meeting of the HWC". Needless to say, there were a lot of puzzled faces since none of us could figure out what she meant.

She explained that since there are now 5 leaders who prefer hammocks to tents, there are now 5 other people without tent-mates and she decided to call the group the "Hammock Widows Club".

Has anybody else had to deal with the ground-dwellers who have been left behind?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I won't make my wife sleep in a tent alone, but if there is someone else with us who can share the ground dwelling abode with her, I'm in the trees for sure.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I am trying to convert my wife to the other HWC - the Hammocking Wives Club. So far got her to sleep in a hammock until 4:00 a.m. when she went in from being cold. I later found out she didn't tuck her top quilt in when she got cold. I told her it's no different than in your bed - you get cold, you put the covers on. We'll try again next month up in the Adirondacks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have converted my wife somewhat. When we go on backpacking trips we both hammock but when we go to group events (car camping) we tent. She loves the hammock and would rather use the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

lucky man

Well guys, I may be the luckiest guy alive. My wife canoes with me (with the exception of winter trips) and we both are hanging on our front porch every night. We each got claytor JH's in the spring and we have been side by side in them since. I do appreciate her in so many ways!

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Well guys, I may be the luckiest guy alive. My wife canoes with me (with the exception of winter trips) and we both are hanging on our front porch every night. We each got claytor JH's in the spring and we have been side by side in them since. I do appreciate her in so many ways!

David
    You need to make sure she sees this post, David! May also be used to get out of the doghouse for free!

I am interested in making a stand for my bedroom that can accomidate one or two hammocks, so we can hang side by side...

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    You need to make sure she sees this post, David! May also be used to get out of the doghouse for free!

I am interested in making a stand for my bedroom that can accomidate one or two hammocks, so we can hang side by side...

Darn good idea on her reading the post., always need the points!! This is my second marriage of ten years, and I really do feel fortunate. She does all kinds of outdoor stuff with me. She is a sculptor and certainly "thinks outside the box." She is an independent soul. Course there is none of that element in me. (smile)

Keep me posted on the interior stand idea. We gotta figure out what we are going to do when winter arrives!

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    This is something to look at for you: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%2...ck%20Stand.htm

I would think you could substitute wood for the pipes, and stain it to make something pretty nice, and relatively cheap. Also, you could build a shelving system in the back. I am also thinking it might look cool to put two additional support beams on top running from the posts that each hammock individually attatches, to the shared attatchment post.

I am also looking at what they call a three-point stand. Less flashy, but with some modification, it could work.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-stan..._Hammock_Stand

It is normally used for these spreader bar hammocks that attatch at three points instead of two. (Perhaps to stop that flip over thing that seems to happen with those hammocks?) Anyhow, I thought making a wider, sturdier version of one of those could be made to handle two hammocks.

This thread is going in the direction of hammock stands, and should probably go to another area...

Here is the thread I started about this idea: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...7527#post67527

• + New Posts