Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchycamp View Post
    This was just a cold hang test, that IS my house, or more accurately my yard.
    The joy of living in the woods!
    Excellent! Will be contacting you soon....

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Lucky you typed that you where pretty happy with the whole thing. Like you said, you didn’t show it in the video. Very good and detailed trip report “intel” though! I think we can mark that down as a very successful 3rd hang! Great job, frenchycamp, may there be many more hangs to come!

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Oh hey Frenchy, watched your video again....did you insulate your hot water bottle with a sock or anything? Yes it would be very hot without some sort of insulation, and adding a sock/mitten around it will help it last longer.

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Oh hey Frenchy, watched your video again....did you insulate your hot water bottle with a sock or anything? Yes it would be very hot without some sort of insulation, and adding a sock/mitten around it will help it last longer.
    Yes I wrapped it in a thick sock, being the first time I used one it shocked me how hot it was (in a good way). Still warm in the morning!

In my research for ever-lighter stuff, I experimented first with a platypus soft bottle. Worked fine, no leaks, but even in the sock it lost its heat in a couple hours or so inside the house. So I went with an old hard nalgene bottle.

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Lucky you typed that you where pretty happy with the whole thing. Like you said, you didn’t show it in the video. Very good and detailed trip report “intel” though! I think we can mark that down as a very successful 3rd hang! Great job, frenchycamp, may there be many more hangs to come!
    I know, when I watched the video I thought to myself: it looks like I'm having a miserable time. Definitely wasn't the case. Yeah I got a little chilly here and there, but I was really happy with the results. Mainly that I spent the whole night in 15º without any issues. This was a test for my upcoming backpacking trips, so I didn't bring anything I wouldn't have packed (extra blankets, extra clothing, etc...)
    The 0º phoenix performed really well, as I realized later that any cold I was feeling wasn't due to the UQ. If anything I was colder on top, makes sense as I was using a 20º TQ.
    I'll blame my non-enthusiasm on me not being an early morning person!!!
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchycamp View Post
    Yes I wrapped it in a thick sock, being the first time I used one it shocked me how hot it was (in a good way). Still warm in the morning!

In my research for ever-lighter stuff, I experimented first with a platypus soft bottle. Worked fine, no leaks, but even in the sock it lost its heat in a couple hours or so inside the house. So I went with an old hard nalgene bottle.
    Right on man, yeah these days the only reason I will carry a "heavy" nalgene is in the winter for this reason.

keep on keeping on!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Nice report. Very detailed and useful. Did u have any wind issues? I notice a lot of winter campers add tarp doors, for wind, but u didn't. I'm slowly putting together some gear for winter hanging, so it's informative to hear reports like this of what works.

Btw You have pretty cool accent, too! A mix of many influences, I'm guessing.

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Nice report. Very detailed and useful. Did u have any wind issues? I notice a lot of winter campers add tarp doors, for wind, but u didn't. I'm slowly putting together some gear for winter hanging, so it's informative to hear reports like this of what works.

Btw You have pretty cool accent, too! A mix of many influences, I'm guessing.
    Thanks Sturgeon. Like I said in the Video, I was a little apprehensive about the 15 mph wind forecasted for that night, but had absolutely no issues. It might not have been that windy... In any case I didn't even noticed the wind. But I made sure to pitch the tarp really steep and perpendicular to the wind direction. I also banked up the snow to the bottom of the tarp so there was no gaps there. I don't have doors for my tarp, so that was the best option I could come up with: Steep pitch/90º to the wind/filled up the gap between bottom of tarp and ground. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    ===> Nice trip report, frenchie ! You did the right things there! A lower rated TQ should make the cold issues go away, and light layering is the way to go! Looks hung pretty well, too! By not using the pullouts, there is less cold air surround you to be warmed by your body and gear. Good call! Steep pitch for potential snowfall - good call!

Keep on hanging! The whole year opens up with winter hanging!

Best -

~ SkyPainter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Good for you! You are doing your dang and having fun, that's what it's all about. I must say 15 degrees is a little cool, but I guess if you have the right gear it makes a difference. Living in Florida I couldn't justify all that cold gear stuff. Mosquito netting now that's a different story . Thanks for sharing your experience.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast