SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    ~
    Before purchasing my Amok I had never bought / used a pad before. When I was researching for a pad to use with the Draumr I was surprised at the temp ratings for the pads as compared to say hammock underquilts. I was a bit concerned that they may be too warm, way too warm!

My first pad was the Exped SynMat 3-D 7 which I think was rated for temps down to 1.4 degrees F. I had considered the Exped DownMat XP 9 but the rating was -36.4 F !

Well, I ended up buying the XP as well and I think I have figured it out, perhaps? I am guessing the rating is for when the mat is used on the ground where there is the added insulation from the ground itself. As say when compared to being used with a hammock where the pad itself is the only source of insulation. Am I close?

For what is worth, I did not feel overly warm in either mat when I was able to test them in about mid 40 degree weather. I'll get another chance tomorrow when the temps are going to be below 40. Also, I did not use a top quilt with either pad. For the couple of hours that I was in the hammock I really felt just fine especially when the bug screen was deployed.
    Last edited by mirrorslap; 02-03-2018 at 11:29.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I have been fine down to 20°F with a SynMat 9LW and a 30° TQ. Above that I have used everything from an old sleeping bag to a bedsheet, and always slept great.

However, I am one of those folks who won't whine about being less than "perfectly" comfortable. As long as I am warm enough to not have worries about my actual safety and health, WTF?... I am camping fa'gawdsake.
    I don't remember the ground as being all that comfortable and for many long years that's where I made my bed and laid my head. Small cost for being out in the gr8outdoorz.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorslap View Post
    ~
    ... I was surprised at the temp ratings for the pads as compared to say hammock underquilts. ... I am guessing the rating is for when the mat is used on the ground where there is the added insulation from the ground itself. As say when compared to being used with a hammock where pad itself is the only source of insulation. Am I close?...
    Pads are colder at lower temperatures than UQs, and you are right the low temperature ratings are for ground dwelling. However, the R values do have relevance and can be used to compare between pads, more or less. Currently, I don't participate in winter camping, eschewing the challenge for the pleasantry of 3 season backpacking. However, I have done my share of winter ski touring trips across MT/WY wildernesses and back country previously. Albeit all ground dwelling exercises. With a hammock my lower temperature strategy is to supplement a pad with a Down CDT or DIY converted rectangular sleeping bag in the pad pocket wrapped around a pad, or down in the pad pocket and pad on top the hammock depending on which pad I am using. The pad can range from an Evozote CCF, a TR regular inflatable, or a high R value inflatable. I'm not sure about the Draumr, but both the Hammocktent Gamma/Beta and the Exped Ergo have pad pocket that are differentially cut enough that down or synthetic insulation doesn't get completely squished, like in a WBRR for example. Not an ideal remedy, but serviceable.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Amok's definitely not differentially cut. it holds the pad tight (or at least, it holds the synmat9 tight. I imagine there's wiggle room with smaller pads)

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    ~
    The weather forecast for tonight is mid to upper 30's and 100% chance of rain. NOT my ideal hammocking weather but the wife is pulling an all nighter at work so I gotta take advantage of the opportunity.

First time setting my SLD Winter Haven tarp up over the Draumr. At first, I pitched the tarp high and wide to make sure I had room for the hammock. Actually, I had a ton of room so, since it is quite windy out, I decided to pitch the tarp a little lower and be able to close the doors (at least on one side; I prefer to leave the "exit" side left a little open for quicker/easier exits when needed I managed to get the tarp pretty close to the ground at least on one side as the ground level changes quite abruptly one on the other side yet I still have plenty of room on the inside.

I decided to go with the Exped 3-D 7 mat (LW) for tonight and I'm crossing my fingers it will be warm enough. So why not use my DownMat instead? Well, I accidentally got the Medium version instead of the LW. It's just not quite wide enough for me especially if I try to lay on my side. I've got the LW version (XP 9) on order but it will have to be the 3-D for tonight.

I'll be using a 40 degree TQ and I've got a down throw nearby just in case.

Here's to my maiden voyage with the Amok Draumr!!

20180203 Amok Draumr 0001.jpg
    20180203 Amok Draumr 0002.jpg
    20180203 Amok Draumr 0003.jpg
    20180203 Amok Draumr 0005.jpg
    20180203 Amok Draumr 0006.jpg
    20180203 Amok Draumr 0007.jpg
    20180203 Amok Draumr 0008.jpg

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    oh that looks fantastic. I love the blue, and looks like you got a nice match with the Tarp

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Love that blue! I have the green one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    ~
    Just a quick follow up on the overnighter.

The temperature actually got down to 32 degrees between 5-8am. Using the Exped 3-D 7 and my UGQ 40 degree TQ I got just a little bit cold during that time frame. Not freezing or shaking but cool enough that I couldn't help but think about it and wished I had just a little more insulation.

The last time I was in temps down to 33 degrees I was using the same TQ but a 20 degree UQ in a Chameleon. I never got cold or even a bit cool at all. So, if I compare those results with my last trip out I would estimate the Exped 3-D 7 to be about a 40 degree insulation factor in a hammock. For comfort sake, I would not use it again if temps were expected to be below 40.

I got a constant rain from about 3am until nearly 8am. I stayed well protected under my Winter Haven tarp. I figured out quickly how to enter and exit the hammock with very little back and forth movement so as to not press up against the side of the tarp.

I only had one real issue with the rain. I had a Costco down blanket hanging over the ridgeline of the hammock that I used to block a little bit of wind on one side of the hammock and to have as a back up insulation if needed. Because it was just draped over the ridgeline it was pretty close to the ground. The area where I had my hammock hanging from had a dirt floor - no grass or leaves. As the rain continued hour in and hour out it basically turned the dirt into mud puddles and, as it continued to rain, it splashed some of that mud puddle onto the bottom of my Costco quilt. Surprisingly enough, that was on the side of the tarp that I had pitched pretty low but the splashing still took place. It was windy as well. I found all of this out as I was reaching to get that "extra insulation" when I was getting cold. At first, I could not really tell if it was wet or just cold but I felt some grit and put two and two together to figure out that it was not just cold fabric.

Nothing terrible, as it was only a small area that was affected and it cleaned up just fine. It was a good lesson learned and to keep in mind if I use my UGQ UQ I will definitely consider the condition of the ground if rain is expected. I guess I could have not let the quilt get so close to the ground either...

But for my first go in the Draumr I would say it was a success. I split my sleep about 50/50 from laying on my back to laying on my side. It was pretty nice either way but, as a side sleeper, I was most comfortable on my side in the Druamr (actually, very comfortable!). I believe I will like it ever more when I get the LW version of the DownMat. It should be better both in support with the extra thickness and insulation. If I were guessing, I'd say the DownMat 9 will be the insulation equivalent of something between 0 and 20 degrees when used in a hammock.

I want a couple nights in the Amok using the DownMat before I decide if the Amok becomes 1 of the 2 of my keeper hammocks as I must downsize soon. As of right now, I'd say it looks to be a front runner.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Draumr 3.0 Tarp
    Insulation
    Synmat 7
    Just a heads up to anyone that's been waiting for a longer version of the Draumr - Amok just posted a video on their Facebook that they're looking for people that are 6'3" / 190cm or taller to test their latest prototypes before putting them into production next winter. They'll choose four winners to test them, and they want you to spend at least 10 nights outdoors in the hammock, but the winners keep their product. Sounds like Amok is finally delivering on their promise! There's a link to apply on their Facebook page or at www.amokequipment.com/long if anyone is interested. I would apply but at 6'2" for the first time in my life I think I'm too short for something. Hopefully some taller forum members get to try out some new products and get some free kit!
    Last edited by exmagnarider; 02-14-2018 at 08:36.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    I’ve been begging for so long! I’ve applied - hope to get chosen! I want an Amok XL!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast