Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps

Need some toggle ideas

What a day I had today... No work for me today, decided to stay home and wait for my mail man. Other than the bills ( not paying those, need more money for dutch gear) I got my first shipment of stuff from dutch. After tearing through the bag I made my way to the amsteel and made me a pair of whoopie slings. They turned out great.

Now to the point. I made my MSH and realized I didn't have anything cool to use as a toggle. I was panning through the forum and saw Gresh made his own out of antlers (very cool). So I need some ideas of cool and interesting items used for toggles.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Gresh just posted some interesting ones:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66489

Other options - some conventional, some not so much:
    - rifle cartridge casings
    - sticks
    - short sections of arrow shafts
    - carabiners
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Sheltowee 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    They say that using an aluminum arrow shaft is fine to make toggles out of. I went to my local 7-11 convenience store and found little aluminum straws for slurpees. I have cut them using a plumbing tubing cutter into 2" pieces. The aluminum straws were in bright colors. I have red and purple straws.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=19712&c=4
    Once I cut them down and drilled a small hole near the end I tied in a piece of cord in which I will use a larks head knot to fasten these toggles around my tree straps so I do not lose them.
    Last edited by nj4x4fever; 01-17-2013 at 00:01.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I've got those that I made tonight out of antlers (which if I can get a dremel that works halfway decent, I'll send you a set!), and I've got a stock of spent rifle shells that I'd be happy to send to you.

Really though, anything will work! When I first started hanging (and a few people here can attest to this), I was using a BIC lighter as a toggle on one side and a tire pressure gauge on the other. Any port in a storm, champ.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.
    A three inch or so pice of aluminum arrow shaft. Easy to cut with a pipe cutter and I had a couple kicking around. Would like to try making one out of carbon fiber shafts as I have a few that are beat up.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nj4x4fever View Post
    They say that using an aluminum arrow shaft is fine to make toggles out of. I went to my local 7-11 convenience store and found little aluminum straws for slurpees. I have cut them using a plumbing tubing cutter into 2" pieces. The aluminum straws were in bright colors. I have red and purple straws.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps079bace5.jpg
    One I cut them down and drilled a small hole near the end I tied in a piece of cord in which I will use a larks head knot to fasten these toggles around my tree straps so I do not lose them.
    Those aluminum straws are pretty cool! I like those more than the arrow shafts.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    One more idea is if you have a local sporting goods store that sells arrows, often times they'll GIVE YOU the carbon fiber cutoffs that they use for the arrow shafts.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Sheltowee 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I use a lot of different items as dual purpose to save on carrying a bunch of stuff. I have taken some tinder fungus and stuffed it into one of the ends of my Aluminum straw toggle. If I need to start a fire using a bow drill I can use the tinder fungus to collect a hot ember and place it in my birds nest to ignite a tinder pile. Sorry Guys I watch a lot of survival videos on u2b. To get the tinder out of the straw, I just poke it with a stick.

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Gresh just posted some interesting ones:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66489

Other options - some conventional, some not so much:
    - rifle cartridge casings
    - sticks
    - short sections of arrow shafts
    - carabiners
    Cool ideas. I have some 30-06 brass around here somewhere.

They say that using an aluminum arrow shaft is fine to make toggles out of. I went to my local 7-11 convenience store and found little aluminum straws for slurpees. I have cut them using a plumbing tubing cutter into 2" pieces. The aluminum straws were in bright colors. I have red and purple straws.http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=19712&c=4
    Once I cut them down and drilled a small hole near the end I tied in a piece of cord in which I will use a larks head knot to fasten these toggles around my tree straps so I do not lose them.
    Who new slurpees had aluminum straws? I'm going to have to look for those tomorrow. I haven't had a slurpee since high school. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    I've got those that I made tonight out of antlers (which if I can get a dremel that works halfway decent, I'll send you a set!), and I've got a stock of spent rifle shells that I'd be happy to send to you.

Really though, anything will work! When I first started hanging (and a few people here can attest to this), I was using a BIC lighter as a toggle on one side and a tire pressure gauge on the other. Any port in a storm, champ.
    Yea I saw the antlers you posted, very cool. I like the woodsy message they send. I think they would go great with the camp webbing I got from dutch. Thanks.

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    I use a lot of different items as dual purpose to save on carrying a bunch of stuff. I have taken some tinder fungus and stuffed it into one of the ends of my Aluminum straw toggle. If I need to start a fire using a bow drill I can use the tinder fungus to collect a hot ember and place it in my birds nest to ignite a tinder pile. Sorry Guys I watch a lot of survival videos on u2b. To get the tinder out of the straw, I just poke it with a stick.
    Now that's a great idea, I'm always stashing tinder for my bushbuddy. Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast