Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Critique my noob setup - pictures!

I got my new tarp in yesterday so I attempted my first backyard setup with it and the hammock this morning. Tell me what you guys think!

The set up is a Hennessy ULBA with the all in one system from whoopieslings.com and a Tadpole silnylon tarp from Wilderness Logics (can be found here for specs http://wildernesslogics.com/Tad-Pole-Tad-Pole.htm).

I pretty much scavenged any line I had to set up the tarp. It is actually the stock suspension and tarp lines from the Hennessy, plus a couple random pieces of rope I found in the garage. I will be purchasing better guidelines before I go on a trip.

I would appreciate any tips you guys can give about my setup. I know it's not the best and I am trying to figure out how to tweak it to make it better.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    TQ/UQ? Everything looks good, but its all for naught if you get cold at night.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Looks good. I would use lash it, zing it, or dynaglide for your tarp gylines and ridgeline. Other than that looks stealthy.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    TQ/UQ? Everything looks good, but its all for naught if you get cold at night.
    I don't really do any winter camping so I just don't think an under quilt is necessary. I use my 20 degree down bag as a TQ and it has always suited me just fine. Possibly some time in the future I will think about an UQ...

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    All I have to say is, wow! My butt gets cold under 65 degrees. If you have already been fine in a hammock without a underquilt, more power to you. Most people find that down doesn't provide any insulation when compressed between you and the hammock. As for your setup it looks really good.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Your setup looks good to me! If I were you I would go with either Mountainfitter.com's Guyline or Ed Speer's No Tangle guyline.

Mountainfitter also has some reflective guyline if your in to that.
    http://www.mountainfitter.com/

Speer No Tangle Guyline (out of stock right now)
    http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse...ine/Detail.bok

Hammock
    HH Custom & WBBB
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    Web Suspension
    The tarp looks great! I ordered the Big Daddy a few days back, looking forward to getting it in! Let us know what you think of the quality.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Nice boat (and your hammock rigs looks fine).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird dble coy br
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11ft
    Insulation
    UQ winter incub
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Dear snibbor,

you asked for some constructive criticism, so if I may:
    - the tarp - in my humble opinion - doesn't look taut enough. By tightening it a bid more, you'll have rain or humidity roll off as opposed to collect itself in little pockets.
    - also on the same account, your sidelines seem to be at too low an angle and "too much in". Normally, the better the weather, the further out you can go with you side lines. And on the "in angle" you should try to pitch your ground stick a little further out: basically, take the diagonally opposed side of your respective side line and aim at putting your ground stick in a straight line out from that point. I hope that makes sense.
    - your hammock seems a bid close to the tarp. This way, you'll have problems getting in and out. So, either put the tarp straps a bid higher on the tree (say 2 to 3 inches) or your hammock a little further down. I normally pitch the tarp straps on at about chin height and the hammock that little further down.

Don't get me wrong, just trying to help, no smart***ing intended, just my 2 cts, all ideas are tried and tested.

All the best and keep enjoying your rig!

Saupacker

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickwurx mfg. View Post
    The tarp looks great! I ordered the Big Daddy a few days back, looking forward to getting it in! Let us know what you think of the quality.
    I have yet to test it in the rain so we'll see how good of a seam sealer I am when that happens. It seems to be a very good quality tarp though.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Nice boat (and your hammock rigs looks fine).
    Thanks man. I'm getting the itch to get out on the water. Not quite warm enough yet here in TN.

Quote Originally Posted by saupacker View Post
    - also on the same account, your sidelines seem to be at too low an angle and "too much in". Normally, the better the weather, the further out you can go with you side lines. And on the "in angle" you should try to pitch your ground stick a little further out: basically, take the diagonally opposed side of your respective side line and aim at putting your ground stick in a straight line out from that point. I hope that makes sense.
    - your hammock seems a bid close to the tarp. This way, you'll have problems getting in and out. So, either put the tarp straps a bid higher on the tree (say 2 to 3 inches) or your hammock a little further down. I normally pitch the tarp straps on at about chin height and the hammock that little further down.
    I think I know what you mean about the side tie-outs. I thought I was getting them pretty far out, but I'll try it further next time.

I agree the hammock was pitched up really close to the tarp. I was surprised at how much the tarp "dipped" once I staked out the sides. The ridgeline of the tarp was probably 8-12 inches lower than where I tied it to the tree. I'll have to account for that in the future. Although, my hammock is bottom entry so I can still get in and out easily.

• + New Posts