Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Got a pic of that??

I slept in it last night and even with the extra knots it slipped about 8"
    Only a close-up of the provisional solution.

The ring is part of the whoopie set-up, but I had a couple of places where the trees were so close together that the whoopies wouldn't have allowed me to set up my hammock - so I simply used the triglides this way (the whoopie sling hangs unused from the ring - the webbing bypasses it completely).

You can use the webbing directly on the rope that is attached to the hammock (where the triangles are attached) - but this means that the webbing will be stressed more than with the ring. I'm planning to order a couple of rings from Whoopieslings.com to use with the triglides and webbing - that's a much cleaner and nicer solution. Ring and triglides together don't weigh more than the original triangles, I believe.

I'm also planning to get rid of the webbing loop by attaching a short piece of webbing to the ring and the middle part of the triglide permanently, and then slide the suspension through the triglide. This way the triglide stays in one place, and from what I could see in tests, it whould be even easier to fine-tune. But that remains to be proven. The current solution is a bit more flexible and - similar to the Warbonnet original suspension - allows to set up in very tight spaces (which is not the case with whoopies...).

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Good looking setup!

I had the Woopies on the hammock and removed them for ther same reason, can't adjust very close to trees. My hammock doesn't need to have a 30* hang angle so it can be strung up tight as I can get it. Opens more possibilities for hanging.

Images
    dynalex, those welded triangle rings you have are a few years old. they shouldn't slip if the half hitch behind them is tied right. this is the same for suspensions using 2 descending rings in the same manner.

the current buckles do have more bight (thus no knot needed), but when used correctly they should be easily adjustable regardless of the hammock having a little weight in it. there is more of a learning curve to using them, but when used properly the webbing should move freely in both directions without resistence.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the current buckles do have more bight (thus no knot needed), but when used correctly they should be easily adjustable regardless of the hammock having a little weight in it. there is more of a learning curve to using them, but when used properly the webbing should move freely in both directions without resistence.
    Interesting, maybe I've been doing it wrong. I have always had the problem, even if I took the weight off the webbing and buckles by pulling the hammock up by the gathered end with one hand, the buckles wouldn't move one bit to allow me to pull the webbing with the other hand. I always had to push the buckles apart by hand - which basically meant that as soon as I had my sleeping gear in the hammock, I would have needed 3 hands. Even with the hammock unloaded I had to push the triangles apart by hand, if there had been any weight on them previously (after testing the hang, e.g.). I always thought that's the way things are and never tried to play around.

So what's the secret? Is there a specific angle to pull the webbing? Is there an instructional video somewhere?

Thanks

Images
    all my hammocks are supposed to come with directions on how to use the buckles.

basically you take the weight off the buckles with one hand, and with the same hand you spread them apart about a 1/2" and tilt the backwards (so they point toward ground and sky rather than pointing toward hammock and tree). it sounds more complicated than it is and really just takes getting used to getting them to "release", but you should be able to do all 3 things with 2 hands. once you have it figured out it's pretty easy to do

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    You left off a step for dummies like me Brandon.

First spit out your gum.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    all my hammocks are supposed to come with directions on how to use the buckles.

basically you take the weight off the buckles with one hand, and with the same hand you spread them apart about a 1/2" and tilt the backwards (so they point toward ground and sky rather than pointing toward hammock and tree). it sounds more complicated than it is and really just takes getting used to getting them to "release", but you should be able to do all 3 things with 2 hands. once you have it figured out it's pretty easy to do
    Hm, I can't remember an instruction sheet; I'll have another look when I get a chance. I'll try your technique - I think I never did the tilting thing. Maybe it makes all the difference. Still like the triglides, though

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    My hammock doesn't need to have a 30* hang angle so it can be strung up tight as I can get it. Opens more possibilities for hanging.
    How so? Won't this alter the sag? You're using a Blackbird, right?

Getting the angle right has often given me headaches, if the trees have been so far apart that I had to climb 4m high to hang the hammock...

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I needed to go to a bridge hammock as I've got bad hips and joints and need to sleep on both sides and toss back and forth a lot or get really stiff. The BB was super comfy on my back and one side but I couldn't master the both side thing.

The Chrysalis has a strap as a ridgeline and the suspension is hung from it so just pull it tight and it all lines up. Heavy for backpackers though.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    dynalex, those welded triangle rings you have are a few years old. they shouldn't slip if the half hitch behind them is tied right. this is the same for suspensions using 2 descending rings in the same manner.

I guess I'm not tying the knot properly. I'm trying to think of something small to clamp on the strap to stop the slip.

Maybe I need those new triangles ... are they available for sale??

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast