WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have several and choose them according to need. For car camping especially in the colder months I'll usually bring my Clark 250 because it has a weather shield....it's a little heavy for backpacking. For backpacking in the colder months or in inclement weather....I bring my Dangerbird because it's lightweight and has a weather-shield in addition to the bug-net. For summer, both car camping and backpacking I often choose my Switchback....fairly light comfy and airy. When I'm feeling retro, I break out my Claytor Jungle Hammock.

Of those mentioned....if I had to choose one for all seasons etc it would probably be the Dangerbird for it's total versatility. It's lightweight, comfy and has both a regular bug netting and a weather-shield for when it's cold and/or windy.

To me the weather shield is very important unless you are mainly a summer hanger.

Good luck with your choice, Miguel

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I believe part of this is due to the vendors themselves.
    The Jacks have been around, and active on HF, basically since inception.
    Warbonnet effectively got his start on HF.

This interaction among the community is a huge bonus, IMO, for perspective buyers. It's nice to be able to ask the designer/manufacturer pointed questions and get honest responses. The other names you mentioned; Hennessy, Clark, Claytor, DD Hammocks don't really interact with us directly on the forums. They are watching, to be sure, but they don't actively engage their customers here. There are some good business reasons behind it, but it does put them at a disadvantage for the users here on HF.

This is also why some of the really small shops do a healthy business; because they are engaged here. BIAS, HammockGear, 2QZQ, etc., do well and are active.

HF is a bit of a niche within a niche of a niche. When a specific community is saturated with one thing or another, in my experience, the ones making that particular widget are also involved with that community. While neither the Jacks nor Warbonnet are particularly active anymore, they both still post on occasion and both will be quick to answer PMs. That tells me that they are still here and watching, but have backed off the posting a bit. Again, I'm sure there are very valid reasons for it, but they still make the effort to be 'one of us'. That, for me, will always carry weight in my purchase decisions.
    This sums it up. Vendors who don't listen don't hear. I can't speak for any shop but the one tncamper and I run, but I know if we didn't change and adapt to our customers versus trying to make them adapt to us, we couldn't make hammocks that folks would buy. Reputation is vital. When a customer tells us, "Hey, I want your product, but could you add this instead of that?" we accommodate them. We answer emails. We engage folks on this forum. That's a big part of what separates Warbonnet, Hammock Gear, 2QZQ, Dutch, Dream Hammocks and many, many others from the larger shops that now are more retail than manufacturer because they've outsourced work and are no longer building to order. Not knocking it. Just noting it is a difference as Cannibal says.

The market is odd, too. We're in a niche -- campers. And a sub-niche -- hammock campers. Our shop is in a sub niche of that -- light/ultralight hammock campers. Most cottages are the same way. Very niche oriented. The hammock shops you mention are less niche-ey (OK, I made that up). They have a little more mass appeal. Business wise, that's a good place to be. But to hammockers with very, very specific wants/needs, there is usually a cottage serving a sub-niche to be found.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Cottages rocks!
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oper8or View Post
    What pray tell is a Pan?
    Priceless!! ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I haven't yet found the perfect hammock, but right now my Claytors come as close as possible for me - although I'm considering a Dream Hammock with detachable weathershield and detachable bug net as the next step toward perfection.

I like a double bottom. I like optional (but not required) spreader bars. I like a separate tarp.

I would like dual entry though, detachable bugnet and detachable weather shield

I'd also like storage pockets (like the Clark)

Tie out loops and under quilt loops would also be nice.

BTW - I made a home made hammock from some silnylon material I found at walmart a few years ago. I had a seamstress sew the edges. Then I made a gathered hammock following Jeff's instructions HERE - really very simple to do. I've used that homemade hammock as a hiking hammock - I take it on hikes to take a nap in it halfway through my hike. At one point I weighed 270 lbs while using that hammock (I'm now down to 230) and had no issues with it.
    before I found this forum and I was youtubing and googling I had found Hennessey first and was amazed, and then when I saw Clark I was even more wowed.

I am glad to see you have drop some lb's, I am a large guy as well and worry my fat *** will split the hammock and I would have to figure a good story to tell people how I broke my butt.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_timer View Post
    This is a link to a thread where people were asked if they could only own one hammock what would it be and why. Lots of interesting discussion. A good starting place for understanding what causes people to gravitate to various brands and styles of hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

Andy
    I guess that idea is much better then my post. I will be reading. Thanks

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Banana vs. Soda Can

I find it helps me to visualize the basics shapes.

The shape of a gathered end hammock can be visualized as a banana. As you lie in it, your back and legs will be rounded. The "calf pressure" issue arises from the fact that our knees don't bend in that direction. But proper set-up along with placing something under your knees and/or lying at a slight angle with respect to the suspension axis helps alleviate that problem.

The shape of a bridge hammock can be visualized as a soda can on its side. As you lie in it, your shoulders will roll forward slightly. The "shoulder squeeze" issue arises from the fact that our shoulders only roll forward so much. But a pad in the hammock sleeve and/or lying on your side slightly helps alleviate that problem.

The new WB RR uses a wider spreader bar at one end to increase the diameter at the shoulders which i think will make it more comfortable for a wider range of people than the JRB BMBH.
    ok so I fully understand your ref, but couldn't get past the " banana hammock" visual.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    thanks for all who posted. I continue to learn so much. When I have the funds I hope to make the most right decision I can.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Here is my take on why different folks like different hammocks.

The way you sleep matters. Back sleepers that never budge during the night may not need the same hammock as side sleepers that toss and turn and end up fetal position.

Your size matters. Hammocks come in different sizes just like people do. What may work for a 5 footer, may not work for a 6+ footer. The same goes for a 100 pounder vs. a 300 pounder.

How you use it matters. Do you car camp or backpack 15 miles into mountainous terrain? Car campers have the luxury of picking luxury over weight. They couldn't care less about how much their hammock weighs. But, that backpacker slogging up that mountain is thinking about the weight of his/her hammock with every step.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I guess that idea is much better then my post. I will be reading. Thanks
    Absolutely nothing wrong with your post. You are among friends and fellow hammock junkies. So much to learn and experience so little time. I've learned neat things from your thread. Thank you. Welcome to the addiction.

Andy
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast