Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Thanks for the responses guys. So responses

Are you backpacking or car camping? backpacking

How old are the kids you may be sharing your set up? 8, 10, the oldest being 12 but he would want his own.

What seasons are you planning on being in the trees? 3 seasons to start, I'm from Minnesota originally so I plan eventually to be out in the snow, but the family probably won't go then.....they don't like the cold like me.

Is there a group hang in the near future within driving distance you can attend and actually try some out before you buy? Yes next month

What is your real budget? Budget is whatever i want but the bottom line will be what the wife will let me spend. I could drop 600-800 today but then the wife would probably make me sleep in it till next year. Figure best to start at a resonable number and work my way up to all the 'needed' stuff.

As for the bugs, MD bugs suck, plain and simple. There is a reason i want the bug net on all the hammock choices above.

get more help if you can prioritize what is important to you in a hammock Function and a good night sleep is the most important. Color/Delivery times do not matter to me. Weight might be important, but with a family of 5 camping, I'm normally the one carrying the god-aweful heavy 6man tent anyway. Anything to lighten my load the better, and if the kids like them, they will eventually carry their own....*pictures a lighter load and dreams of the day* Price would be last, as importance goes. Could i buy each of the systems above, sure, but other then having the ability to use them all , a different one each day....hehe.

As for the dutchware, i do realize it isn't needed, but as you pointed out, eventually i would want it anyway.

Will make note of the eno slapstraps suckage factor and will replace them on my list.

My only concern with the WBBB is the netting looks like it will constantly be in my face which would drive me nuts.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Another one I would suggest is the Warbonnet Traveler; you can get them in double or single layer, and it comes with the suspension of your choice at a very reasonable price.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Of the choices you list, I'd eliminate the big-box beginner hammocks off the list right away: bye-bye ENO, Hammock Bliss and Grand Trunk.

The Clarks weigh a ton and cost a fortune. Besides, a weather shield doesn't make the NX-250 four-season, and it would be a giant pain in the butt trying to find three trees for the Flex180. And you still need TQ/UQ. And if your son comes along, you'll have to figure out how to hang a UQ under both hammock beds - sounds like a challenge (which I'm sure Clark has an expensive, heavy, proprietary solution for).

Which leaves the BIAS DL and the Warbonnet, two great choices - very popular and well-reviewed hammocks. The Warbonnet has a shelf and a footbox, and an integrated bugnet (which I understand can be rolled out of the way). I'm pretty sure it's the most popular hammock among noobs, usually their first upgrade. If you don't like it, you can resell it quickly on this forum.

The BIAS DL is a simple, lightweight, gathered-end hammock with independent bugnet, so when there are no bugs, leave it home. It's my go-to hammock right now - I doubt I'll ever use an integrated bugnet again. It makes no sense to me carrying a bugnet in December/January.

There are plenty of other hammocks you might want to consider. Don't look at cost alone - look at weight, length (longer is generally considered more comfortable). If you still can't decide, buy a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe all-in-one package and start hanging rather than spending all your time trying to decide what to purchase.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Those Clark's are nice, huh?

In the meantime a few thoughts that may help: it's difficult to guy out or spread an attached bug net; therefore, the wee beasties can get to you. The Warbonnet Traveler would allow a choice of bug net options.

Warbonnet includes a choice of suspension systems. The price is right for all that you recieve for $60/75. I made a mistake by not studying offerings more closely. I'm a noob looking at $70 of suspension for hanging a $20 hammock! I like it just fine because I indulged in carabiners but wish I had taken more time to study offerings.

Think again about the Kelty Noah's Tarp. It's heavy. I'll use a wally poly until I can spring for a true flat tarp in silnylon or in the long view a cuben. See Etowah and Cooke Custom Sewing in addition to excellent ones from Warbonnet and Jack's R Better, et al.
    Last edited by MDSH; 09-05-2012 at 20:26. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by NarlocB View Post
    BIAS DOuble Layer Olive Green WW $110
    Suspension/Whoopies/Dutchware Hooks $21.50
    Buginator $65
    Ridgline/Dutchware Ridgeline Biners $12.50
    Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 $67
    Total $276
    Tips on cost savings:
    1) Drop Dutchware. While AWFULLY nice, it is non-critical. (-$12.50)
    2) Drop the double layer. Again, non-critical, and save the money for a UQ. (-$40)
    3) Look at the Guide Gear Emergency Shelter for a tarp option. The weight looks scary but it includes heavy poles that can be discarded. Coverage is outstanding. $39.99 (-$27).

This would bring you to about $196.50.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmole View Post
    I'm new so take what I say lightly. I am 6'1 and 285 lbs - 44 inch waist. I bought the DD Frontline and haven't found a really comfortable sleeping position. My head is always rubbing the mosquito netting or my arm is on the netting. When I do upgrade next year it will be to a longer and a bit wider hammock. I can lay at a nice angle but I never sleep in one position all night or I get stiff and sore the next day. There is not enough room in the DD Frontline for us bigger guys to move around much. Just my opinion.
    Sounds like we are pretty much the same build. Will keep that in mind on DD hammock.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    Tips on cost savings:
    1) Drop Dutchware. While AWFULLY nice, it is non-critical. (-$12.50)
    2) Drop the double layer. Again, non-critical, and save the money for a UQ. (-$40)
    3) Look at the Guide Gear Emergency Shelter for a tarp option. The weight looks scary but it includes heavy poles that can be discarded. Coverage is outstanding. $39.99 (-$27).

This would bring you to about $196.50.

The DL was for the fact i'm a big guy.

Swapped out tarp on cheaper choices to GG Emergency Shelter.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the price is about right really (at 85$). the netting version is 65 and that's comparable in price to the eno bug net. the sock fabric itself is about 3 times as expensive as netting and unlike netting it requires more time consuming seams to keep it from fraying so sewing time is signifigantly more.

i think you may be wrongly assuming that the stock clark comes with some kind of insulation. it does not, you'd need to add that to the price of the clark just like you would with any other hammock setup. the clark does come with a weathershield though which boosts interior temps a little, but not even close to enough to go without physical insulation

Regardless, its expensive enough to make me DIY my own. I can make a sock for under $30 and that's a fact. And that includes, fabric, thread, draw cords and locks with shipping. I don't mind if my stitching isn't up to par with WB.
    $85 is just way to high for me. Not saying its not priced fairly, just saying its not worth it to me is all.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    If you are on any kind of doghouse budget here is what I would do to get yourself hanging:

Hammock: crinkle taffeta tablecloth from www.tableclothsfactory.com $12~
    Tarp: Campmor 10x12 $35-40 or a poly tarp for $10
    Suspension: whoopie slings any vendor less than$15 ratchet straps from Wally world $10
    Bottom Insulation: diy military issue poncho liner underquilt $40 max for all supplies (temp rating somewhere around 50*)/ blue pad from Walmart $10
    Top insulation: sleeping bag unzipped

Rough total cost for a cheap, reliable, and customized setup is....maths....Wow less than $100 and it'll get you down to a pretty decent temp.

When I was last home was Christmas break last year. It got in the low 20*s at night. I used my poncho liner uq and a 0* synthetic bag my dad had at the house. I zipped the sleeping bag around me and I was HOT. The next night after that I used it unzipped like a top quilt and was perfect. I only say this as an example that this system will work. It may not be a bias (which is an absolutely amazing company to do business with) but it is efficient and cheap. What ever you decide remember the tablecloths. If you plan on sleeping with the kids, you might change it after a night or two in the woods. When you do make that decision, their own hammocks are only $12 away. Good luck, hang safe, and most importantly; have fun!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may want to consider some other hammocks like the Dangerbird by PapaSmurf, the Wilderness Logics Night Owl, the Switchback by Tree to Tree Trail Gear and the Jungle Hammock by Mosquito Hammocks. I don't mean to add to the confusion, but these are some very nice hammocks also, and you may want to consider them. I would suggest you go to a local hang and try some for yourself before you decide.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast