WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I bring 2 dogs with me on most of my trips. My 70 lb Lab/Plott and a 40 lb Pitt mix. Some times I bring an extra small tarp for them, but mostly they sleep under my Superfly with me. There is plenty of room!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    My best friend and I backpack close to 30 times or so a season (take the summers off), and we both have two dogs each that we bring every time. I have an 80lb lab and a 60lb pit and he has two 70lb german shepherd/lab mixes.

Unless you're dog weighs like 15lbs, I don't see any reason why you would want a dog in your hammock. One dog toenail into the nylon will create an unrepairable rip from head to toe. Hammocks are not for dogs, they are for humans.

Dogs have laid on the ground for over a quarter million years, why would a backpacking trip be any different? Provide food, water, shelter, a ground pad, and an appropriate blanket (I've used my down jacket zipped up into my shell as a dog blanket). That's it. That's all your dog needs to rough it out the woods with you, and they'll love you for it.

I always put a couple sleeping pads next to my hammock under my tarp and the dogs know the warm spot to lay. If you have issues with your dog roaming in the middle of the night, my buddy brings an extra ridge line to run through his tarp to act as a sort of dog run, so that he is able to sleep worry free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Towellie; 09-29-2011 at 07:07.
    Nick 'Towellie'
    www.baxpax.org

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl & Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD & Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    My shadow Sam (Samantha) a 25 pound, 4 year old cockapoo will catch forty winks in the hammock if invited but prefers (an easy to pack, light, folds flat) cardboard box.

Depending on rain an/or wind-chill I donate my towel for a flap-door, CCF bottom (my sit-upon) and poncho cover.

Fortunately thunder and such don’t bother her but creatures of the night may cause a ruckus.

She is tethered only when park rules require.

While on the subject…
    Sometimes dogs tramp or rub in other animal poop.
    I always pack a couple ounces of original blue Dawn dishwashing liquid. ’Ultraconcenntrated’ so too much used on dry hair/fur goes a time-consuming long way. Diluted and used as a regular bath shampoo it also kills fleas. It will cause ticks to back out dabbed full strength with Q-Tip, works on humans as well, so tick-head isnot left under skin to cause infection. Sam has never complained about Dawn bothering her eyes but I do head last and rinse immediately.

Don’t pick up a pack, hiking stick or hat and get in her way…

John

p.s. You will never regret teaching your dog regardless of situation to ‘come-on-demand’ to a unique call or whistle. I always reward with Honeynut Cheerioes upon doing so. They travel well in pants pocket too.
    Last edited by dually; 09-29-2011 at 08:47. Reason: p.s.
    Travels with Samantha

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Hammocks are a lot stronger than you think. It helps if you trim dogs nails.

My 50lb pit bull sleeps with me. I'm more worried about the down top quilt than the hammock.

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    This is why you share your hammock!

Great pic!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I bring my siberian husky Juno with me on every trip. She weighs about 45lbs. She sleeps under my hammock. I just bring a 20ft tie out for her, and when its bed time I tie her to one of the trees my hammock is on and reduce the length of the tie out to about 10ft or less. I never really have an issue with her tangling up in tarp lines etc. I bring a REI dream dog bed(or whatever its called) it's basically a thermarest prolite style pad with a protective cordura/fleece covering on it. I used to just use a small piece of ccf. During the winter I bring a poncho liner for her and put it on her bed for a little extra.

I know alot of people let their dogs wander. IMO it's one thing to let them wander near home in a familiar place, but out in the backcountry it is not a wise idea. I always keep my dog on leash or tie out for a good reason. If something distracts her she will take off after it. I go out with a friend of mine often who was a german sheperd. I thought this dog was awesome on the trail, no leash, and would stay close by and come when called etc. Owner even had a hunting collar on him for backup(remote beep/shock) but never had to use it, and could beep it from far away and the dog would come running back. Well one day when he stopped to filter water the dog saw a deer or something and took off. He was found about a week or so later luckily by a family, and he had been hit by a car.

Lesson learned? If you are backpacking with your dog keep them on leash, you never know when they are gonna take off after something. And you don't have the resources you have while at home to go looking for them(being able to hop in your truck and drive around etc), and the dog has no idea where he is due to being in an unfamiliar area.

Why take the chance? keep your dog on leash or a tie out to protect him from his natural prey drive. You may go backpacking all the time and let your dog run free, and that's fine. But the one time he takes off on you, don't say i didn't warn you!

And lastly I highly recommend having your dog microchipped, and using a collar that has your dogs name and your phone number sewn into it, and don't rely solely on a identification tag as these can easily be ripped off when a dog is running through brush.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Great thread guys...love the pitty pics...that's what I have although mine is a mix and weighs 80lbs. I'd LOVE to hang with my dog but I move around way too much so am going to try the pad idea...she carries her wool sweater.

I have a Miniature Pinscher and want to take her hammocking with me but am worried her claws might tear the nylon of my Ticket to the Moon single parachute hammock.

Those that sleep with their dogs in their hammocks, what do you do to prevent tears?

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    I have a Miniature Pinscher and want to take her hammocking with me but am worried her claws might tear the nylon of my Ticket to the Moon single parachute hammock.

Those that sleep with their dogs in their hammocks, what do you do to prevent tears?
    Heard but havent yet tried a set of "socks" like for the ruff wear boots an help if you can keep them from trying to chew them.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast