Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks so much. In the video you mentioned you put in a ccf pad. That was just lying on the floor of the sock, right? If that's the case, I see how you could drop the second layer.

Ed
    DIY Quilt Spreadsheets: http://is.gd/pcEXXK
    DIY Project List: http://is.gd/pcsxfQ

Hammock
    Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Also, have you found condensation to be an issue? I'm usually in very high humidity situations, even when it's cold.(38 deg F, 80-90%% humidity)

I'm hesitant to make it out of Silnylon for fear of condensation. I might try DWR nylon first. Thoughts from others?

Ed
    DIY Quilt Spreadsheets: http://is.gd/pcEXXK
    DIY Project List: http://is.gd/pcsxfQ

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    Also, have you found condensation to be an issue? I'm usually in very high humidity situations, even when it's cold.(38 deg F, 80-90%% humidity)

I'm hesitant to make it out of Silnylon for fear of condensation. I might try DWR nylon first. Thoughts from others?

Ed
    While I have yet to hang in this in very cold conditions, Central Virginia is pretty humid in the summertime. I think the modular aspect of this design should help with condensation. There's just a whole lot of air circulation. Between the hammock and the sides and bottom of the hammock. Between the tarp and sock bottom.

I've recently made some changes to my setup. I discovered that I could shorten my hammock by a foot and still be comfortable. And that meant that I could shorten my sock by a foot, but I was lothe to cut my sock after all the work.

Then I discovered that I could adjust the length of the sock bottom by pulling on the elastic draw cord along the edge of the top opening. I was able to adjust the size of my hammock sock by a whole 12" without any cutting!

I also discovered that by not resizing the tarp, it would attach farther up the suspensiion lines, giving me more coverage and air flow, while still conforming to the shape of the hammock.

However I did cut and resew my bug net. It didn't cost very much ;o)

I had looked at several different materials to build my sock from, but settled on the lightest silnlyon I could find because of the weight and strength, but also because it would repel the rain and wind. The concept was to create a micro-environment that offered a variety of setup options. I figured with the top separate from the bottom, any condensation would run off to the sides. And with the bottom standing separate from the hammock, any condensation on the bottom would run down and away from the hammock and bottom insulation.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post

Sorry, but I can't seem to figure out how to attach pictures in this post.
    Please check my gallery for the picts. I still need to add pics of the bug net.

You can either use the Attachments Button located at the very top part of the action bar, 3 icons to the right of the fonts menu. Or click on the Image box which will alow you to past a Direct Link to the image location on the web. So if you upload your photos using www.photobucket.com you can get the Direct links from there and past them in the image location box that pops up when you hit the Image Button. Either method works fine.
    If you decide to upload as an attachment then make sure the picture file size and dimensions are correct. The website has limits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

Link to Modular Hammock Sock instructions PDF

Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    I'd love to see design info on this if you have it & are sharing. Cutting dimensions, what ever.

I was drooling over MedicineMan's cuban solution the HangnOut Derigible but the sticker price... plus I want my projects to be reproducible by the Scouts I work with.

I guessing this over a double layer hammock with a CCF pad and a sleeping bag TQ and the scouts would be good for most of what we run into.

Thanks
    Ed
    I've posted a PDF with the instructions for making a Modular Hammock Sock. I really need to come up with a better name. Any suggestions?

Link to PDF: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...cU2IXoF0Y/edit

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've posted a PDF with the instructions for making a Modular Hammock Sock. I really need to come up with a better name. Any suggestions?

Link to PDF: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...cU2IXoF0Y/edit
    Well, that didn't come out so well. It's my first GoogleDoc, go figure! I'll work on that as I have time, but I can email to original PDF to anyone who PMs me thier email address.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, that didn't come out so well. It's my first GoogleDoc, go figure! I'll work on that as I have time, but I can email to original PDF to anyone who PMs me thier email address.
    Arrg. Try this link to access the PDF instead: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxn...mgzZmRhWVdZcVE

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123