WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

Question Underquilts I don't get it?

It has been a big year for me. After a few years of being in narrow hammocks I upgraded to a ENO doublenest and experienced the comfort of the diagonal lay. It was a key moment for me in my development as a hanger.

This past weekend I used an underquilt for the first time. It was an Eno ember. I know not a great quilt but its what I have. I loved crawling into the hammock and not messing with a pad. This great feeling was soon squashed as I realized the quilt was keeping me from laying on my usual diagonal in my Eno double nest. As the temperature dropped so did my comfort level. I should mention the zipper in my sleeping bag was broke and I didn't figure this was a problem as I was planing to use it as a top quilt. It got to cold for that. So I spent an uncomfortable night in my hammock. I almost dropped the underquilt onto the fire in the morning along with the broken zipper sleeping bag but I didn't want to clean up the mess afterward and figured i better set a good example for the kids so I packed them both out.

I've been debating a Hennessy hammock or a Blackbird for a while now. I'm having a hard time seeing how well a underquilt works with either of those. I've also been taking a hard look at packed size/weight/cost of an UQ/TQ and am thinking that a lot less than $500 would buy an amazing sleeping bag. Combine that with a double layer blackbird to shove the pad into and wouldn't I be better off? Smaller/ligher to pack, faster to deploy/stow.

So whats this fascination with quilts? Are they warmer? Are they more comfortable? They aren't lighter, smaller, or cheaper. I don't get it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    The UQ has to fit!
    Then the UQ first of all need to be under you.
    Then it has to be a snug fit.
    After that, it will work like a charm!

Hammocking is (good/bad) tweaking and tweaking.
    Myself, i love it.
    Maby not when it's -4F
    Good luck !
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Same reason I sleep in a hammock instead of on the ground; comfort.

Personally, I don't like pads. I don't find them comfortable at all and when you add in the fact that I'm a sweaty sleeper, they just don't work well for me. UQs provide warmth, not just insulation. They store your body's heat and release it back where a pad just deflects warm and cold. The diagonal lay is very possible with UQs, especially if you go with something like the WB Yeti since it is cut for the diagonal sleeper. With the flat quilts, you just have to play with it a little bit to find the best way to hang it to match your sleeping style. I have not touched, felt, or played with an Ember yet, so I'm not real familiar with their attachments or their shape.

A down quilt takes very little pack space if left unstuffed. Left lose in the pack, it will fill in empty space left between other gear. I'd like to see a pad do that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post

So whats this fascination with quilts? Are they warmer? Are they more comfortable? They aren't lighter, smaller, or cheaper. I don't get it.
    I think the simple answer is "yes"
    The UQ is more comfortable, and given the morning chill of condensation with a pad, they are definitely worth the weight penalty even for only a moderate gain in warmth.
    I still use a pad along with my UQ in the depths of Winter, and even with the double layer of my WBBB, there is a very noticeable change in the comfort of the lay.
    Everyone is different, and so the UQ may not be for you, but I'm never going back to a pad as my primary bottom insulation.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I backpack I love the UQ ..... small and packable and warm.
    It may take you some slight tweaking at first to dial it in.
    I know nothing of the Ember but the UQs sold on here made my Stormcrow, JRB, Warbonnet, Te-Wa all seem to be used easily by members.
    Personally I have a DIY one and a Yeti for winter. Both 1/2 UQs.
    Love, love, love them.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    It has been a big year for me. After a few years of being in narrow hammocks I upgraded to a ENO doublenest and experienced the comfort of the diagonal lay. It was a key moment for me in my development as a hanger.

This past weekend I used an underquilt for the first time. It was an Eno ember. I know not a great quilt but its what I have. I loved crawling into the hammock and not messing with a pad. This great feeling was soon squashed as I realized the quilt was keeping me from laying on my usual diagonal in my Eno double nest. As the temperature dropped so did my comfort level. I should mention the zipper in my sleeping bag was broke and I didn't figure this was a problem as I was planing to use it as a top quilt. It got to cold for that. So I spent an uncomfortable night in my hammock. I almost dropped the underquilt onto the fire in the morning along with the broken zipper sleeping bag but I didn't want to clean up the mess afterward and figured i better set a good example for the kids so I packed them both out.

I've been debating a Hennessy hammock or a Blackbird for a while now. I'm having a hard time seeing how well a underquilt works with either of those. I've also been taking a hard look at packed size/weight/cost of an UQ/TQ and am thinking that a lot less than $500 would buy an amazing sleeping bag. Combine that with a double layer blackbird to shove the pad into and wouldn't I be better off? Smaller/ligher to pack, faster to deploy/stow.

They, down UQ, are lighter and smaller and less expensive than comparable bags in many cases.... The particular one (synthetic) you cite may not have been...As to warmth and comfort is a matter of getting the UQ appropriate for the range of comfort you seek and properly installing the UQ... the diagonal lay will not be prohibited with a properly fitting UQ.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I mostly use UQs now but would add...a lightweight thermarest pad....partially inflated...is quite a bit more comfortable and results in less condensation issues, than a normal closed cell Wally World pad.

I like packing an UQ much better than carrying a pad in or outside of my pack. I've had great success using both methods and a combination of the two.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    They, down UQ, are lighter and smaller and less expensive than comparable bags in many cases.... The particular one (synthetic) you cite may not have been...
    I guess I've been looking at it wrong. I should be comparing the underquilt to a pad instead of comparing the weight/cost/size Underquilt and overquilt to a sleeping bag. Because with a sleeping bag I still need a pad and with an underquilt I still need a sleeping bag or overquilt.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Green 1.1Nylon
    Insulation
    Foam pad/ Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/Marlin
    Images
    Don't destroy it!! I'll take it if you don't want it! I'll pay for shipping! lol. message me if you want to get rid of it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I made my uq wide enough to work with the diag. lay. Was really surprised how much it did. I used it for the first time this weekend. Even my wife was impressed with how warm it was and she is always cold. Maybe you could hook up with gargoyle and he could show off his. I think you guys are only about 20min from each other.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast