JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC

High 30s decisions

So I have been paying attention to the overnight lows in Va in preparation for next weeks hike up to the hang with the Jacks. An the temps are still dropping into the high 30s........

Here is my dilemma..... I have a Nest under quilt and Stealth (long) top quilt. The Stealth is recommend for temps above 40 to 45 degrees.

So I'm wondering if the Stealth will be warm enough for the possible dips down into the 30's if supplemented with wool long johns and a wool base layer?

I may be able to talk my wife into letting me borrow her Nest for a use as a top quilt. But since it is not a long and I'm 6'3" I may find myself deciding to having to decide wether to keep my feet or shoulders warm.....

Any thoughts, tricks, or tips????

Thanks!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    The most important thing is to keep warm on the bottom side of the hammock. Once you have sufficient insulation there, you need less on top.

Are you taking any kind of pad? Perhaps you can supplement with a very thin torso pad to extend the temp range...

That all being said, your sleep system should be considered as a whole, including any planned clothing. I would think that your wool base layer would certainly extend the temps your stealth can allow you to mangage. YMMV.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The most important thing is to keep warm on the bottom side of the hammock. Once you have sufficient insulation there, you need less on top.

Are you taking any kind of pad? Perhaps you can supplement with a very thin torso pad to extend the temp range...

That all being said, your sleep system should be considered as a whole, including any planned clothing. I would think that your wool base layer would certainly extend the temps your stealth can allow you to mangage. YMMV.
    I usually carry a cut down Z rest as a sit pad for around camp but I'm not sure if that will fit in the sleeve in the BMB (testing it tomorrow.) If not I may pick up one of those blue pads from Wallmart everyone mentions.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

stealth

I carried a Stealth quilt on a Philmont trek in mid-June. Got to middle 30's most nights. Per my habit I wore insulated pants and jacket. I was comfortable all nights. Well, as comfortable as one can be on the ground, when the ground is not entirely level or rock free

who says an old dog can't learn a new trick....

Grizz

Images
    What Griz said. Sleep system and layering is the key. You mention wool long johns/base layer. But, will you not also have some sort of additional warm jackets and pants? On recent trips, part of my sleep system has been longjohns plus my BMWs light weight but lofty Polarguard hooded jacket and pants. I am OK to 50 or tad below with nothing but these- no bag or quilt. So if a Stealth adds at least 25* worth of topside warmth ( 70*-45* stealth rating=25* protection), and I am good to 50 or better without the Stealth, I should be OK to about 25* with it, more or less.

So depending on what you have with you to add layers, I would think you could be comfy in the mid 30s with the Stealth, no problems. Of course, that is based on the assumption that you personally have no trouble being comfy in the Stealth at 40-45* without warm jackets, and the guarantee that whatever you use for added layers will be dry, and that more than adequate warmth beneath is already assured.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What Griz said. Sleep system and layering is the key. You mention wool long johns/base layer. But, will you not also have some sort of additional warm jackets and pants? On recent trips, part of my sleep system has been longjohns plus my BMWs light weight but lofty Polarguard hooded jacket and pants. I am OK to 50 or tad below with nothing but these- no bag or quilt. So if a Stealth adds at least 25* worth of topside warmth ( 70*-45* stealth rating=25* protection), and I am good to 50 or better without the Stealth, I should be OK to about 25* with it, more or less.

So depending on what you have with you to add layers, I would think you could be comfy in the mid 30s with the Stealth, no problems. Of course, that is based on the assumption that you personally have no trouble being comfy in the Stealth at 40-45* without warm jackets, and the guarantee that whatever you use for added layers will be dry, and that more than adequate warmth beneath is already assured.
    I have plenty of extra layers to bring.

I guess that is where the real dilemma is, it is real easy to pack for a winter trip or a summer trip....... but the shoulder seasons are a different story. I usually err on the side of caution and carry extra gear that sometimes ends up staying in the pack the entire trip.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    but the shoulder seasons are a different story. I usually err on the side of caution and carry extra gear that sometimes ends up staying in the pack the entire trip.
    That's the rub, isn't it? If it rains a lot, you'll be in those nasty cold wet temps at night that will chill you to the bone. If it doesn't rain, then it's a totally different trip. Better to be safe IMO. What kind of pack weight are you thinking when you first start out if you put in the extra stuff?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    DGrav,

I'm still watching the weather but right now I'm inclined to use a Stealth for a top quilt... May wimp out and go with a No Sniveller though if the forcast looks low or very wet.

Probably will make the call Saturday.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    DGrav,

I'm still watching the weather but right now I'm inclined to use a Stealth for a top quilt... May wimp out and go with a No Sniveller though if the forcast looks low or very wet.

Probably will make the call Saturday.

Pan
    I need to decide Friday since I'll be hopping the train to Harpers Ferry Saturday. Maybe I should just buy a No Sniveler........ (the excuses I will come up with to buy gear! )

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Talking

So I have been paying attention to the overnight lows in Va in preparation for next weeks hike up to the hang with the Jacks. An the temps are still dropping into the high 30s........

Here is my dilemma..... I have a Nest under quilt and Stealth (long) top quilt. The Stealth is recommend for temps above 40 to 45 degrees.

So I'm wondering if the Stealth will be warm enough for the possible dips down into the 30's if supplemented with wool long johns and a wool base layer?

I may be able to talk my wife into letting me borrow her Nest for a use as a top quilt. But since it is not a long and I'm 6'3" I may find myself deciding to having to decide wether to keep my feet or shoulders warm.....

Thanks!
    I've been going out every weekend with my 4yr old and we have been alternating the HH SS, and JRB UQ's. Last night he slept with the Nest and a quilt I made for him. He was just wearing regular PJ's. The temps went down to about 36 and he didn't have any issues.

See you at the MAHHA..........
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast