Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Wasn't it Ben Franklin that proposed the use of a silk hammock inside a house for protection during a lightning storm?

I'd still like to see Mythbuster do some hammock/lightning tests.
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't think that we are ever "safe" in lightning while in the piney woods .... but what a show!!!!! You feel it deeply. Awed, scared, excited, impressed and strangely thankful to see and feel the power.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    My son and I saw a big maple tree on Shade Mtn in Pa years ago that had been struck and the east side exploded. A hemlock about six feet away had splinters embedded in it about head high and they were all around the tree on the ground. That was a little thought provoking to say the least.
    Makes me ponder the anti-penetration properties of UQ/TQ insulation... I wonder if Climashield stops projectiles better than goose down???

"I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Don't think that we are ever "safe" in lightning while in the piney woods .... but what a show!!!!! You feel it deeply. Awed, scared, excited, impressed and strangely thankful to see and feel the power.
    Shug
    Amen to that. I have been out in storms of unbelievable intensity with nothing but lightning. The kind that you hear the zzzzzzt sound and then the thunder. The air smells like ozone, lots of it. I went through it once so bad that I thought there was no way I would survive. I will never forget it. My favorite campsite on the Manistee now.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    I'm blessed to have survived a near strike a few years ago. I was hit by some of the energy that "splashed" up from the ground.
    A large difference in current potential causes several "streamers" to reach down from the sky and several "feeders" to reach up from the ground. When two of the opposites combine, a circuit is formed and all the other fingers take the same path to ground. That's why there are multiple flashes in each strike. As for protection, forget it. Even air only insulates to around 1 foot per 100,000 volts. Lightning is exponentially greater. The ground can't even "absorb" all of the energy without it splashing and traveling for some distance on the surface of the ground. Anything becomes a conductor if the voltage is high enough. Use common sense and don't group together in bad weather. That way someone will be able to administer aid if needed. Lastly, take solace in the fact that if you are hit you probably won't know it.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    ...if you are hit you probably won't know it.
    You said it was a near hit, but did you know it?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    Now how do we sort out the bear problem?
    Always cook bacon near someone else. If that fails, hand the bear a lightning rod.

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    I worked in a lab and we did work on military aircraft and had reports on lightening strikes.
    Lightening is a complex phenomenon. Often there are as many as 6 individual bolts going up and the down and back up again, one after another reversing the direction of current. Often the first leaders just ionise a path for number two, but the subsequent ones only approximately follow the prior one, and an airplane can fly through a lightening bolt and only be hit by one as it moves out of the way before the next one hits and often they are hit in the cockpit and it exits from the tail. It pays to have good conductors built into the pane to take the current rather than it going down your system wires. Often the first leader goes up and creates the path down.
    Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    You said it was a near hit, but did you know it?
    Yes, boy did I know it. It entered my left shoulder area and and exited my left hand. I wasn't knocked down but ended up dazed and collapsed in place. I was never unconscious and can remember being surrounded by a blue light. I did not hear a bang or boom but my ears rang for several days afterward. I could move my arm and fingers but had no real grip or strength in it for about three days. It was certainly a painful experience and one I don't wish to repeat.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    Will lightning set off C4?....
    It's my understanding that C4 requires a sharply compressive force along with a high temperature for ignition. GIs in Vietnam used to light C4 on fire to heat rations in the field. (Heat, no compression = no explosion.) Blasting caps provide significant heat with a sharp compression that causes C4 to actually blow up.

HEY! My Combat Engineer training is finally useful!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast