Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I didn't notice a change in the view, just a change in the amount of internal space.

I like less things to fiddle with though so I don't prefer the pull out modded net - another two stakes, another two lines at the ridgeline, another two lines on the sides, more things to adjust.

The more internal room wasn't enough of a bonus to warrant all the extra things to fiddle with.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

It Helped

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I didn't notice a change in the view, just a change in the amount of internal space.

I like less things to fiddle with though so I don't prefer the pull out modded net - another two stakes, another two lines at the ridgeline, another two lines on the sides, more things to adjust.

The more internal room wasn't enough of a bonus to warrant all the extra things to fiddle with.
    Well, it helped me to see your video, to see that I was not barking up the wrong tree, so I appreciate it very much, Tender.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Thanks, Tender. I hope soon to put one together.

The bug net thing was making me crazy because I've not seen one yet that would work: the purpose is to keep the bugs away! My dad was an architect, who always said that form follows function.

Hammock models sold on line and/or featured here would allow the wee beasties to feast on any elbow, arm, knee, or toe that dared venture outside the perimeter of the hammock. In warm weather where insects flourish we have an equal need to evaporate sweat for cooling so need to hang parts of ourselves out in well-ventilated space. It seems to me that we have to re-create the principle of a Southern screened-in porch. That means structural elements besides mere gravity and some elasticity.

The shock cord ideas by TED and Fronkey are great as far as they go. The entry/exit purpose is brilliantly fulfilled. What's critical, though, is guying out or spreading the material away from critical parts of the body like face, hands, feet, and knees. A diamond behind the head made of the cut-away parts of Fronkey's system seemed like a solution because it would 1) provide ventilation, and 2) define the space that continues 60% of the way and then tapers eventually to the foot.

Right now I'm thinking that the top entry of TED is better.

Yes, we'll see how it works.
    I've got a home made hammock based on the Wilderness Logics Snipe.

It's so long which allows for such a wide diagonal lay that the netting doesn't come anywhere near me.

With that high ridge line it gives tons of internal space. IMHO

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    But Boon, I see the net against the hammock, which is against you.

Plus, there's a hole in the bottom of it. Blood suckers from Beelzebul will find a way to attack from below. They have orders!

Pip's TED seems a better option but the shock-corded side needs a taut line to close against. In fact, taut lines seem to be the answer, some structure upon which to attach the net, like the posts and rails on a screened-in porch.

I don't mind fiddling and so will work up a bug net with guy lines, shock cord, stakes, and whatever else will accomplish the goal: donating blood on my own terms.

Wish me luck! LOL

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 08-27-2012 at 15:06. Reason: grammar

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Plus, there's a hole in the bottom of it. Blood suckers from Beelzebul will find a way to attack from below. They have orders!

Pip's TED seems a better option but the shock-corded side needs a taut line to close against. In fact, taut lines seem to be the answer, some structure upon which to attach the net, like the posts and rails on a screened-in porch.

I don't mind fiddling and so will work up a bug net with guy lines, shock cord, stakes, and whatever else will accomplish the goal: donating blood on my own terms.

Wish me luck! LOL

Mike
    That I know of, I haven't been bitten through the hammock, but if that's a worry I would imagine that a double layer hammock would be an answer.

As for the hole in the bottom, it's sealed against the bottom of the hammock when I'm in it, even more so when there's an underquilt in there. But for piece of mind it would seem like a simple flap could be attached to the bug net and laid over the hole after it's cinched down. Pressure from the hammock would keep it in place no problem.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Wish me luck! LOL

Mike
    I use Pips TED style bugnet and love it. It has the easiest in and out out of all the other bugnets that I've tried....other than the attached bugnets. I'm not a fan of the attached bugnets just because I like to dangle a foot over the edge of my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It seems that the structure I need is two very light carbon kite spars at least 42" that spread the sides of the net away from body parts that might stray onto the proboscis of a hungry mosquito. This could be employed in any of the free hanging designs offered here, regardless of entry method.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It seems that the structure I need is two very light carbon kite spars at least 42" that spread the sides of the net away from body parts that might stray onto the proboscis of a hungry mosquito. This could be employed in any of the free hanging designs offered here, regardless of entry method.
    ...or a pair of sticks and some socks or bandannas to go over the ends of the sticks...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Kind of like those fellows who use a center spreader on their Old Man Winter tarps?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...or a pair of sticks and some socks or bandannas to go over the ends of the sticks...
    Hey! What a great idea! Thanks to everyone for helping me think through this problem. What a great group!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast