Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    IMO the choice of a tarp is based upon what hangers are used to and enjoy. Before hanging, I went from tents, to TarpTents, to the smallest tarp I could while ground camping... because I enjoy the openness of my surroundings. For me, sometimes even my MacCat Deluxe is bordering on too much, and most of the time will be using my MacCat Standard width. I've been through some real storms with both of the MacCats and can't see any reason to be more enclosed. But then again, I sleep with no tarp at all when conditions permit. Tarps are probably the main HYOH item for each hanger... and each individual should choose based upon his own wants and needs.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I have a speer winter tarp and a OES standard both silnylon. I bought the swt based solely on price. It does it job but the pitch is no where as near as taunt as the Maccat. Brian puts a little more effort into the production of his tarps and I will be buying another Maccat in the future. I like the trimmed edge and the d ring tie outs vs the small webbing tieouts on the swt. Once the webbing tieouts on the swt tarp are under a load retying it some what of a hassle. Both tarps have their role but the Maccat has my favoritism. Happy hunting. Brian may be a little slow as he is a graduate student but if you arent a instant gratification type no worry.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BWDD-WD
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Throwing in my opinion late, but I have the WB big mambajamba and using it in all 4 seasons here in AR and in one of the worst storms the buffalo river has seen in 60 years (including sideways rain and golf ball sized hail), and I've yet to "need" the doors. The tarp is so big and well constructed that it kept me and my down equipment dry in all those conditions. I always thought I would buy the doors later, but Brandon did such a good job on the tarp I'm not sure I need them.
    I spent 8 weeks at the Arkansas Fire Academy near Camden from April-June '06. We had a tornado warning one day there and I've never experienced weather like that before or since. The wind was literally picking up water off the ground and blowing it around again. I've never seen it that dark in the middle of the day either. I can only imagine what it would have been like if a tornado had actually touched down.

So ya, if you say you don't need doors on your hammock, I probably won't either. The privacy is still nice to have though...

Any reason why someone would choose the JRB 10x11 over the BDD 10x11? the JRB is 1oz lighter, but the BDD is $20 cheaper.
    Last edited by Brendan1; 11-03-2009 at 14:32.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan1 View Post
    I spent 8 weeks at the Arkansas Fire Academy near Camden from April-June '06. We had a tornado warning one day there and I've never experienced weather like that before or since. The wind was literally picking up water off the ground and blowing it around again. I've never seen it that dark in the middle of the day either. I can only imagine what it would have been like if a tornado had actually touched down.
    last week during all the storms we had, several tornados touched down and one tore up the Arkansas Fire Academy.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BWDD-WD
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    last week during all the storms we had, several tornados touched down and one tore up the Arkansas Fire Academy.
    oh wow. that looked to be a very solid building too.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Like some here I've ended up with a handful of tarps over the years.
    It's been said before, even in this thread, that the OES McCat Deluxe is the yardstick by which all other tarps are measured. I cannot look at mine and not reflect on a 1000 miles of the AT, a hundred national park units, and too many paddle camps to recount...and it still looks/acts new which is truly a testament to his craftsmanship--and he made my deluxe when he was still in high school!
    Brian--p.s. I'm still waiting on an Ultra in SpinnUL WITH DOORS!!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    MM, thanks for your comments, and as for the doors...I'm working on it. Talking to my professor next week about splicing an assembled part in ProEngineer (CAD tarp) in order to plot parts in 3D for a sketch (door) for a perfect, customizable fit for each tarp. Hang in there, I haven't forgotten about you. Just swamped with school!?!
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    are their any traps (besides the speer WT) that have doors that are not removable....and what is "DBB" (i know its a tarp but which one)....I am also curious if WBGuy could make a Superfly with doors that are not removable....ill have to PM him....
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    are their any traps (besides the speer WT) that have doors that are not removable....and what is "DBB" (i know its a tarp but which one)....I am also curious if WBGuy could make a Superfly with doors that are not removable....ill have to PM him....
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think was thinking of Backwoods DayDreamer Tarps (BDD? ) website here
    Tarps made by HF member "sclittlefield" Good Stuff!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    as for the doors...I'm working on it. Talking to my professor next week about splicing an assembled part in ProEngineer (CAD tarp) in order to plot parts in 3D for a sketch (door) for a perfect, customizable fit for each tarp.
    Cool. Been very happy with my MacCat Deluxe thus far. Pitches tight and is very durable. I too would be very interested in a OES winter style tarp with doors if you start offering one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast