Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    On a slightly related side note, I guess I hadn't officially said anything - on May 11th (one week ago), I graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with a dual Bachelor of Science in Physics and Pure Mathematics. Hooray me! No more school for at least a year or two!

Incidentally, this should free up a lot more time for making gear and generally enjoying hammocks (happy, Jeff? ) !
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    ...for what I call pseudo-science - sociology, psychology, marketing, whatever.
    I would add political science to that list.

On a slightly related side note, I guess I hadn't officially said anything - on May 11th (one week ago), I graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with a dual Bachelor of Science in Physics and Pure Mathematics. Hooray me! No more school for at least a year or two!

Thats great BB! Congrats on on reaching the end of the chapter (that's how I've come to remember the transition from college to 'normal life').

Incidentally, this should free up a lot more time for making gear and generally enjoying hammocks
    Woot! Potomac's all around!
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-18-2007 at 17:53.

Amen, and pass the ammo. I'm sure as heck not trying to point to anything other than generalized trends and whatnot. Stats is nothing if not subjective to a point, especially when looking at such grey areas as motivations and the like.

"There was a significant differance between section hikers that carried tents and thru-hikers who did not wear underwear when controlled for their satisfaction level regarding tent stakes." (Actually I'd like to sneak something like that into a journal article just to see if I could get away with it.)
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Hey - I did (or should say, finished) my undergrad at UNCG. Only took my 13 years from start to finish to get the Bachelor's degree!
    Have you attempted or completed an AT Thru-hike?
    Take the AT Thru-hiker Survey

Images
    I am going back for a second master's, but not to UNCG. I will finally get a master's in Mathematics and then a PhD. I suppose I don't have to get the master's first, but...

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I am going back for a second master's, but not to UNCG. I will finally get a master's in Mathematics and then a PhD. I suppose I don't have to get the master's first, but...
    Nah, do the straight PhD program. Much easier and (IMO) more rewarding.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Thanks to a fascinating course a couple years ago (that was actually listed in the Philosophy department), I'll point out that data can be "statistically significant" even though they're drawn from a small sample size. Lack of a realistic control group can even be accounted for.

On the other hand, it seems to me that statistical significance must be a term that was invented specifically for what I call pseudo-science - sociology, psychology, marketing, whatever. It accounts for a lot of subjective meaning as well - for example, studies have found that smoking increases the user's chance of contracting lung cancer by 0.2%, which is then called "significant" simply because of the subjective gravity of the disease.

Anyway. Enough of the rant. I personally try not to believe ANY reported statistics whenever possible...at least without a LOT of corroboration.
    Dont kid yourself. Cigs kill. Give up your habbit. We need you around on this forum for a long time.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Dont kid yourself. Cigs kill. Give up your habbit. We need you around on this forum for a long time.
    Habbit...is that like a hairy rabbit?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Habbit...is that like a hairy rabbit?
    Or a wascawy wabbit?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Even if they don't kill they stink and are unpleasant.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast