DIY w/~90in RL
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    "G'ma'sFeatherBed"
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Knee pain?

First post! Well I have slept in two diffrent hammocks and layed two different ways in my HH I slept with my feet to the right of the RL and in my DIY hammock I slept with my feet to the left of the RL. Both lays resulted in some serious pain in my right knee. Now I did hurt that knee playing soccer last year and I always seem to find a way to twist it while hiking. So is it me or is there a way to fix this?

Some of your clothes in a stuff sack under your knees may help. Have you had your knee looked at? Could have done more damage than you think

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
    is there a way to fix this?
    Get a doctor to look at that knee lol. Seriously do not leave it because you WILL keep reinjuring it and chances are it will make the injury worse.

Other than that, yeah stuff sack as has been suggested.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    And maybe check all your hang angles as well...

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Get the App, or try it for free: scroll down and fill in the fields for your equipment and hang spot.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    I finally wimped out and bought a bridge,I never could get used to it. Good news is im turning my henessy into a bridge hammock right now. I hope to get it sewed today. The above advice about seeing a doctor is sound,I didnt and now i have arthritous(spelling)at 50. Some inflamation medicine while rehabing the knee will probably help you strengthen the knee back up.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Try a longer hammock.

S

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    See your doctor, go to a Orthopedic guy, sports medicine. Get a MRI, see if you have a rip or something like that.

I recently was in a wreck, the Naturapath I hired, fixed my neck, back pain (sort of the massuse re-injured me). The odd thing is my knee that ached all the time, stopped hurting me.

I had surgery for a torn ligament, the doctor could not find the rip, he just cleaned out the joint and flushed it. Exactly a year minus one day, I tore it loose again. I can not have another MRI because of the computer in my shoulder, so I am just dealing with it.

I have a brace with all the bells and whistles I use when the joint feels really loose (ripping feel when I walk, feels like it is going to give out totally). I am able to walk quite well in the brace, it did require practice and a stuborn streak. I would not use it on the trail for an extened hike. I do wear it for climbing around the Columbia River Gorge for some day hikes.

Experiment on what works for you, different type of hammock, padding, elevation, cold pack on the knee at bed time. I have done that with something warm on my tummy, works great fools the body into thinking it is warm.

I do sometimes use hiking poles they help, however, I dislike depending on them at my age. I do not want them to become a need instead of a like.

It is really better to find out what is happening with your knee. Having a rescue team come in and get you is bad form, to be avoided.

I was taking some anti-inflamitory meds before a trip, however I have discontinued that practice, before it became a habit. Pain meds only work for a while, and can have nasty side effects.

Hammock
    DIY w/~90in RL
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    "G'ma'sFeatherBed"
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks all for the info. I used my clothes sack on last night's trip and that seemed to work with some ibuprofen without waking up in pain. I had an MRI done after the injury however the docs that ordered the MRI moved back to the states so I will have to call to see if they ever got the results. That's just the way military life is. Thanks again!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    How tall are you and what kind of Hennessy Hammock do you have? My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition. I'm 5'11", and though the Expedition didn't bother my knees (even my rebuilt left knee), the shortness of the hammock caused calf cramps, especially in the left calf.

I bought a longer hammock, a BIAS Weight Weenie, and haven't had a cramp since. I'd second trying the longer hammock, which should give you a flatter lay.

Hammock
    DIY w/~90in RL
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    "G'ma'sFeatherBed"
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am 5'8" and have the expedition. I have no idea how long the hammock is. My DIY hammock is ~108 inches with about a 90 in ridgeline or shorter. I dont have a tape messure. I did not have any calf pressure in either hammock but with the hennessy i had conciderible pain in both knees if I remember correctly. I think it might have something to do with the raised middle of the hammock in my DIY hammock I did not raise the middle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast