Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Happy Birthday, it's nice to get out with the wife sometimes. Make it a special night and bring the wine and cheese. May be worth the weight

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Happy birthday Jeff, mine was yesterday. I got a fire pit and a JetBoil Java Kit. Cleaning up on the b-day presents, aren't we?

Bear Island sounds great. I'll be hitting you up for some advice on that trip soon. That's been on my list for a long time.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I'm trying to remember the island orientation, here - by "west side" I'm guessing you mean the sites near the back side of the island? I have been to those and there are usable trees there if I remember correctly. They were just REALLY buggy when I was there, but that was in the summertime. Of course, it's been years since I've been out there at all and my memory isn't world-class And things may have changed, too.

There were water spigots at the bathhouse at the center of the island, just off the beach. A bit of a walk, depending on where you camp. They may have added more since I was there, though.
    Here's the map - the ones to the left of the island. Sounds like they're pretty strict about staying at the campsite, but after a quick look I didn't see anything about tying to the trees. I'll probably call and be sure...it would suck to get down there and not be able to hang!

But I'll probably bring fresh water if we use the western sites...that's too long of a walk to the bath house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    We (my dad and I) always stayed either in the lagoon sites (right of the map, back of the island) or in the sites along the beach to the East. I don't actually recall there BEING sites to the West of the bathhouse when we were there last, so they may be newer. Newer meaning less than 8 years old or so

It is a bit of a walk to the bathhouse if you're near one end of the island. We would swim or hang out on the beach most of the day, then take a shower at the bath house, so we'd just get water for the night and next morning then before heading back to camp.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cool - thanks for the info.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Happy Birthday Jeff......many more to come, each happier than the last!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Here's the map - the ones to the left of the island. Sounds like they're pretty strict about staying at the campsite, but after a quick look I didn't see anything about tying to the trees. I'll probably call and be sure...it would suck to get down there and not be able to hang!

But I'll probably bring fresh water if we use the western sites...that's too long of a walk to the bath house.
    A phone call to the park before you leave would definitely be in order. I heard something last fall about the western end of the island taking a lot of damage from Ernesto. Those campsites might not be there. And if they are, there might not be any trees to tie.

Also, I heard that the channels were silted up but the dredging got canceled. So they've only able to run a much smaller ferry over to the island and for only about 5 hours at a time around the high tides - seriously limiting the ferry capacity. The water taxi/private ferry might be necessary even if you wait 'til April.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Happy Birthday Jeff. Once you convert your partner to hammocking and THEY are the one suggesting trips, life is sweet

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    happy BD jeff. that's a really nice & thoughtful gift that your wife & the little guy are giving you!
    i took a group to bear island about 5 years ago. really neat place.
    we stayed in the group sites A, B, & C (no one else was using the group sites).
    seams like they were probably about a 20 min walk from the ferry dock.
    you follow the trail shown on the map to the beach where the bathrooms, showers, & phone are shown on the map. but the only thing there when we went was two bathroom stalls & a water faucet. a hurricane had taken everything out in resent times before that. that may be something to ask about when you call.
    we didn't see the east end of the island, but we did do a walk down to the west end to watch the sun set. it was really beautiful with hundreds of shore birds of all kinds.
    across from the west end you could see land that was a military base. i can't remember which one though.
    the two lone camp sites shown on the map were tucked in the dunes. no trees that i remember.
    i remember seeing lots of trees on the back side of the island (the side facing NC & the bay/marsh you travel across to get there), but i don't remember much about them as in undergrowth, etc, because the only time i was near them was at the ferry dock. and that was before i discovered the hammock so i wasn't thinking about that they called it a maritime forest.
    if you use any of the sites on the ocean side & the taxi service isn't going be able to get you to near your campsite, one thing i remember about walking across the island was having to tote our stuff across.
    we were staying two nights & had more than we really should have taken, but i had most of mine in a backpack. there was at least one big cooler to drag. the road across the island starts out paved, but soon became a sand road. i was told by park employees that a good way to take stuff across was using a plastic snow sled, the kind w/ a flat bottom so it slides across the sand. but that's something to have in mind as you choose a campsite.
    a couple other things i remember was that some of our group rented canoes to come across & when they went back, made the mistake of going against the tide
    and we happened to hit it on a weekend that the locals said was " unusually windy". so we had a time w/ blowing sand between the dunes the group sites were in. we built a lean to by turning a pick nic table on it's side to cook behind, but still had sand in our food. i still have sand in a chair i took
    also, we saw a bald eagle & an osprey!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Just Jeff,

Happy B-Day!

Thank you for all your advice and info over the last few years. You, Rock, the Jacks and others were my primary inspiration to start Hanging!

Coincidentally, my wife (who's gone backpacking and dayhiking a couple times w/me) told me last week that she will try a night in a hammock! Can't wait.

Again, Happy Birthday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast