Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been using bra hooks with good success. Pick up some in any case b/c they are very cheap and I bet if you don't use them for this you will come up with a use later. Sewing them on 1/4" elastic makes them more forgiving. They are also field repairable and next to weigh nothing.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    HC, i have been looking at snaps recently too. the ones i was looking at were size 16, i think? they were just smaller than a dime. they weighed about 2g/snap. they were not as small as the western shirt snaps, but those install by a different method, which looks weaker. if you do use a snap, don't put it right into light nylon, sew on a short piece of gg ribbon and place the snap through it.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    HC, i have been looking at snaps recently too. the ones i was looking at were size 16, i think? they were just smaller than a dime. they weighed about 2g/snap. they were not as small as the western shirt snaps, but those install by a different method, which looks weaker. if you do use a snap, don't put it right into light nylon, sew on a short piece of gg ribbon and place the snap through it.
    The snaps would be placed in the rolled hems of the quilt, which would mean they would be going through about 4layers of folded fabric. I wonder if adding the grosgrain would be to thick to mount the snap?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    ok, i could still see using it, and i bet it would fit. 4 layers might be ok alone though, especially if it's a small snap.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Metal in my hammocks scares me, I'm always worried it's gonna snag on the hammock material and rip it. Probably overly paranoid, but you asked.
    I ripped the bottom in my Claytor from a metal zipper on a pair of fleece pants. We patched it up pretty well. I'm glad it has a double bottom. I'm also now a member of the paranoid club.

Miguel

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Im going to add hook/loop to the quilt Im sewing, with the fuzzy side towards the inside of the quilt and the hard side facing outward (as viewed when layed flat) Then, the footbox will form like a burrito and allows for a stronger seam, since you are not simply prying the seal apart with your legs. In case of mucho tossing, this method will stay put better, I think. A snap at the neck is a good idea tho, think I'll go with it (like nunatak). Another option is a small bit of flat cord sewn in a loop, with a dime sized button on the other side. This method would prolly take 2 hands so im not sold on it yet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I ripped the bottom in my Claytor from a metal zipper on a pair of fleece pants. We patched it up pretty well. I'm glad it has a double bottom. I'm also now a member of the paranoid club.

Miguel
    It's good to not be alone.

I ended-up sending my Warbonnet back to WBG a few months ago for a patch because I found a little-bity (it was tiny) tear in the nylon under my shoulders. Great customer service BTW, thanks WBG! The more I think about it, I suspect it was the metal clasp on the back of a ball cap that did it. I don't wear that hat in hammocks anymore. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    FWIW.... On this neck snap business....On draw cord style top quilts, If you draw the cords about 12-16 inches on each top corner you will form two shoulder pockets and draw the material between them to your neck/collar area.... nice seal....Then, if you want closure security, simply tie the cord ends in a bow behind your neck....easy....

No need to add snaps, add weight, buy a tool, add grosgrain reinforcement, and/or risk the quilt or hammock to wear and tear.

Quilts without top draw cords may be better off adding such a cord vs a snap...Plus such a cordm ay have other multi uses to a resourceful Hanger in emergencies.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have sinched my JRB quilts around my shoulder area before, but I don't think that I would feel safe tying the cords around my neck. I would I would wake up from a nightmare or being attacked by a wild animal and hang myself trying to get my head out of the quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post

Miguel
    yeah, that's why it didn't take me long to decide to remove the zipper from two of my sleeping bags, converting them into quilts.
    never a moments regret.
    and i try to be careful to remember to take stuff out of my pockets before getting in the hammock too.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12