Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I would stick with the 1.1 double at your weight. I've used other hammocks made from a single layer of 1.1 fabric and definitely noticed the stretch at around 200 pounds.

For a Blackbird, in my opinion the quilt question is a no-brainer - Yeti all the way. The fit is pretty close to idiot proof, and it is toasty warm. I have used pads, DIY quilts, other 3/4 quilts, and the Yeti was the most foolproof and easily managed of all of them. I LOVE that quilt. Don't think of it as skimping at all. A full length quilt is harder to get a good fit on, because the suspension naturally wants to pull it straight, and you aren't laying straight. With a pad under your legs, the quilt fits your torso area perfectly, and you are free to move the pad around as you see fit. It's the best of both world.

Cold sleeper, you say? I took a Winter Yeti + leg pad to 11F at the Colorado Fall Hang, the first time I'd used it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I would stick with the 1.1 double at your weight. I've used other hammocks made from a single layer of 1.1 fabric and definitely noticed the stretch at around 200 pounds.

For a Blackbird, in my opinion the quilt question is a no-brainer - Yeti all the way. The fit is pretty close to idiot proof, and it is toasty warm. I have used pads, DIY quilts, other 3/4 quilts, and the Yeti was the most foolproof and easily managed of all of them. I LOVE that quilt. Don't think of it as skimping at all. A full length quilt is harder to get a good fit on, because the suspension naturally wants to pull it straight, and you aren't laying straight. With a pad under your legs, the quilt fits your torso area perfectly, and you are free to move the pad around as you see fit. It's the best of both world.

Cold sleeper, you say? I took a Winter Yeti + leg pad to 11F at the Colorado Fall Hang, the first time I'd used it.
    Thanks for the feedback. After much deliberation, I decided to go for the Incubator. I got a screaming deal on one, and talked with a few who use it in my "neighborhood".

The Yeti was really attractive, Brandon makes killer stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to check one out at an upcoming Hang-out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Oh, and I stuck with the double!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    straps
    Congrats on "Cancer Free", this make 8 yrs for me. Live Strong!
    I just started also, and I have the BB double 1.1 and LOVE that hammock. I've been using pads and the double layer is great in that the pads never move around. But I am getting a UQ from Santa. I have the Super Fly and only used it on one overnighter so far, but it is great. It was clear so I put one side up in porch mode and I could see the stars. Good hanging!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeBuddy View Post
    Congrats on "Cancer Free", this make 8 yrs for me. Live Strong!
    I just started also, and I have the BB double 1.1 and LOVE that hammock. I've been using pads and the double layer is great in that the pads never move around. But I am getting a UQ from Santa. I have the Super Fly and only used it on one overnighter so far, but it is great. It was clear so I put one side up in porch mode and I could see the stars. Good hanging!
    Congrats to you ont he 8 year mark! I ALMOST made the 4 year mark and then round 2 came along. My 4 month mark is around the corner now.

What UQ is coming down your chimney?

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    I live a little north of you in Washington. So I thought I would give you my take. We both deal with cold, damp, snow, and fog. I have a WBB 1.1 DL and I love it. For your weight and hight the WBB 1.1 DL should be fine. I was shorter and heavier for a bit an I was fine. I used pads up until recently. A Pad works well in the WBB 1.1 Dl. I would advise getting one from REI and not Walmart. The REI blue foam is much more flexible i.e. fits in the hammock better. I also used a car windshield reflector in warmer temperatures. That said An underquilt in cold weather is awesome. Someone once said pads will keep you from getting cold but an underquilt will keep you warm.

As for tarps, yes the doors help keep you warm. If you are humping everything on your back you may want to look at lighter (read more expensive) silnylon or Cuban fiber. But you don't have to spent the money. I have an older Gear Guide 12x12 that I use in winter. It is a bit heavy to backpack for some. But I manage it for 5-10 mile trips and I'm an out of shape slug. For warmer weather I use a 10x10 sheet of tyvek because I am cheapskate. But in the cold I like having a tarp I can put in to tent mode.

Regarding whoopie slings, I am not sure I can help you there. I have the standard webbing and I am fine with it. I can't seem to wrap my head around what makes whoopie slings a big deal with some folks. But I am a bit thick sometimes..

Hope this helps. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12