Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I just made a hammock that is 12' (144") by ~ 58". I have been making my speer style hammocks about 10' long, and was wondering if the extra length would make a difference. One thing I like about the extra length and width is the ability to really exaggerate my diagonal laying position to near perpendicular. This is very comfy.

i also made a 12 footer recently, mine is around 72" wide i believe. even though it is extremely wide, i think the extra 2 feet in length does alot. very comfy indeed. 10'x5' is a good standard though. never tried anything much shorter than 10' i don't think, unless the eno's are shorter than 10.

I have made approx. 10 different speer/risk styles. I am 6' and 250 lbs. I have settled on a 11' risk z type. I have found that the longer length does give me a little forgiveness in the setup.
    yis,erin

Thanks again everyone. I'll have to look up "Risk Z type." I've made a prototype out of cheap fabric, and the usable length is about eight feet and change. According to Speers' book that should be enough, but I don't find that I can lay diagonally in it. I'm 6' 1". So I'm thinking of pushing the length a bit, but now I'm afraid I'll have to build a different tarp than the very basic Speer sort. I probably always would have made another, but I want to get something constructed quickly and easily--and go backpacking!

Along the way, I have begun to appreciate some other things about hammocking, such as the sleeping bag. Getting into one isn't going to be quite like doing the same thing in a tent, one supposes. All this is really making me re-think my whole gear list and strategy.

What does one do when one isn't camping? Think about gear to go camping.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Now it all strikes you, sitting around all day trying to figure out your gear. Wait until the full DIY bug hits you and you start venturing into top and under quilts, tarps, and all the other accoutrement's .

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Thanks again everyone. I'll have to look up "Risk Z type."
    Here is a link to the Z hammock that was referred to:

http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    1 - I'm 6' tall and have settled on 10' hammocks, between the knots. That's 2' on each end. My first was 9' of fabric and that's just not enough. Longer is nicer, but longer also requires trees further apart, a longer tarp, more weight, etc., etc., etc.

2 - While hiking, I'm always thinking. When I get home, I start making the things I've been thinking about, searching for the cheapest sources, prowling the internet to see if somebody has already invented that, dreaming of the ideal set-up...

3 - Forget the zipper on the sleeping bag. Except for the very bottom, if you have a full length zipper. Open it up and spread it over you. Since feet don't have fingers you will need a foot box to tame that end. Don't forget the zipper tab!!! Metal and ripstop do not go together very well.

4 - If you have two sleeping bags use one for an underquilt. An underquilt is basically a rectangle with with hanging tabs on the corners. You may have to do surgery on one sleeping bag to make it into a rectangle, but once done, you will never look back.

Whoa. So you guys are dismissing with the usual type of sleeping bag and self-inflating pad, then.
    What does one do when one isn't camping?
    --Think about gear to go camping.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Haven't used a pad in years. Use my down mummy bag as described above for the top quilt, DIY bottom quilt. Have experimented with various ways to use a pad, but quilts are the way to go in hammocks, hands down! (There are some on this forum that are stongly in favor of pads, but I'm not one of them.)

When I save up a few more coins for the kit, I'll make a top (another) quilt, but till then, I have a couple of other projects demanding my discretionary play money .

And to think of all the cash I spent on thermarests, etc. over the years trying to get comfortable on the ground.....

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    What does one do when one isn't hammocking? Think about gear to go hammocking .
    the hook is set, and so soon too!

On bags and self-inflating pads... can be used in a hammock. In 3 seasons open up the bag and use like a quilt. You may (I should say, I do...) zip up in the winter to better fight off drafts.

inflated pads go easily in pockets or between layers of a two-body hammock. Can go inside a hammock but my experience with Thermarests is that the bottom is very slippery on riptop nylon. There are suggestions for gluing things onto the bottom to make'm stick.

Bottom line---all you need for a fast transition from a tent to a hammock is, well, a hammock and a tarp. After that it is optimization of your set for ease of use, and possibly comfort (there is something special about sleeping over a well-fitted down underquilt.)

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    The ideal hammock length is one that fits between the trees you want to use.

I have a 8 footer that is very comfortable, but very tight. I have a 10.5 footer that is also wide and very roomy. I have several in between. They all have their merits. If you made an 8 footer and it seems tight, make a 10 footer and see if you like it better. But be warned - once you start, it's addictive.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast