Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad it worked out for you. I still use sil stuff sacks...just not compression sacks. When I have a pack liner (usually a contractor's garbage bag) sometimes I'll go w/o a stuff sack, but I always make sure it's protected from water somehow.

I put my hammock/UQ/TQ into one Blackbishop bag. I used to put it at the bottom b/c that's where if fit best to stabilize the pack. But then I had to unpack everything to set up camp, and this wasn't fun in the rain or if there was any mud. So now I put my extra clothes and such at the bottom, my food back and Blackbishop bag in the middle, and jacket/snacks/essentials sack (first aid, cell phone, etc) on top. It still carries well (though not as well as when the Blackbishop bag is on bottom) and it's MUCH easier to set up camp w/o throwing my stuff all over the ground.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    hum, something to think about when I go back down to Harpers Ferry on Wednesday for a two nighter...Ill let yall know how it work out. During my one nights I tried like ten different ways to pack my bag. I use a sea to summit 70L dry sac and have a packa so I figured between the two it would keep the UQ/TQ dry but yes I could see how they could get damp not in a sil sack if it is raining for consecutive days. So many little configurations and so many ways...SO fun to play around with
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The dry sack should be plenty...no need for sil sacks inside the dry sack, IMO. Unless you just want them for organization's sake.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    no not at all...I like just having the quilts in the dry sac, that really opened up a LOT of xtra room and allowed me to pack stuff around the quilts. Also as you stated...I def noticed the load staying nice and even as my pack lightened up and the quilts puffed up to fill in empty space. This was most noticeable when I used warmer cloths during the day and packed them back away around mid day.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cool - glad it worked out for you. Keep the updates coming as you tweak your system!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Just a rule of thumb for me....

always agree with Just Jeff.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Down with compression sacks!!!
    They're for those guys with big heavy synthetic sleeping bags, not 800 fill-power down Warbonnet quilts!

And what is with every manufacturer making their stuffs just large enough? I always put my gear in a bigger sack so it will be loose and form fitting in the pack. Why can't they offer their product at a $5 discount w/o their too tight stuff sack that is only going to end up laying on one of our gear shelves?

I like to have all my stuff organized, so I use Sea To Summit ultrasil dry bags (the ultra light ones) for everything except for my cooking gear, I have both my Golite TQ and Crowsnest in a 13L dry bag, and they both fit pretty good, think I might try the next size up though and see if they fit a little looser. They both fit now but its a little tight. Glad to hear everyone else's ideas and thoughts, I've never used a pack liner as I am a little clumsy at times and drop things so if I happen to drop the dry bag I can still throw it into my pack without any worries as everything else is secure in their bags. Guess it all comes down to what works best for you!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    And what is with every manufacturer making their stuffs just large enough? I always put my gear in a bigger sack so it will be loose and form fitting in the pack.
    Amen, brother. I wonder how many of the cottage guys would send you a bigger one if you asked...e.g. a Winter Yeti stuffsack for a 3 Season Yeti or something.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12