Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Shameless plug

If truly jealous & in the mood for a maybe slightly less chilly get together, join us in Virginia in less than 2 weeks.
    Plenty of time to pack.

FWIW: When I get home from Mt Rogers, I am definitely trying that Heated Hammock Super Shelter that Fourdog showed, I got the perfect place in my back yard, fire pit & all.
    I even got a clear painter's tarp, should be good for at least one night.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    I did the Stephenson Warmlite VBL shirt experiment more than 25 yrs (when they had the nudist catalog)ago:FAILED. The shirt did retain warmth, but because it was a shirt and a base layer (tried alone:yuk, with polypro underwear:OK, and with fishnet underwear:OK) it was inconvenient to take on/off as conditions dictated, and too much sweat from overheating resulted. This defies the benefit of a VBL. Also, with their second generation shirt with aluminized fabric, it started coming off and made a mess. And, the seam sealing didn't hold up due to movement.

The VBL sleeping bag "sock" liner worked well once I sewed arms on it. The mylar sheet is a vapor barrier, but I don't consider it on the same par as a VBL, since it doesn't created a close body micro climate. It only deflects vapor from infiltrating the UQ, and it did work well in that regard.

How much benefit it provided will be determined tonight when I re-weigh the bag after 36 hours of drying time. No mater how you manage the vapor/moisture problem, some will invariably get in, and degrade the insulation. At some point you will have to dry out.
    The current Warmlite fabric is made with their "fuzzy stuff". (I guess that would be third generation since it is not aluminized.)The next to skin is the fuzzy part which does wick some. The outside face feels like a thin slick rubber type material. For boosting your insulation and keeping it dry, it works great. If you're wearing while hiking, it had better be below zero or you will overheat. After a couple of nights with heavy snow and one night well below zero, both my UQ and TQ were dry when I got them home (or at least I couldn't detect moisture like I normally do when I hang them up). I had my JRB Winter tarp set up in "tent mode" with snow along both sides, so I did not get much if any in the way of wind blown moisture.

Bottom line, I took a 2.5" thick TQ rated at 25-30 down below zero wearing only a VB, 100wt fleece and windshirt on my torso.
    Last edited by wisenber; 01-11-2011 at 19:15.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoeski View Post
    ..........The mylar sheet is a vapor barrier, but I don't consider it on the same par as a VBL, since it doesn't created a close body micro climate. It only deflects vapor from infiltrating the UQ, and it did work well in that regard.

How much benefit it provided will be determined tonight when I re-weigh the bag after 36 hours of drying time.....
    It will be interesting to see those results!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post

FWIW: When I get home from Mt Rogers, I am definitely trying that Heated Hammock Super Shelter that Fourdog showed, I got the perfect place in my back yard, fire pit & all.
    I even got a clear painter's tarp, should be good for at least one night.
    Now that approach is way interesting!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I wish I could use a pulk where I hike most in the Winter. If I could, I'd definitely want to try the greenhouse! As it is, I'm postholing through 2-3 feet of snow with rhodo tunnels and mountain laurel all over the place along with the requisite rocks and stream crossings.
    I wonder if I could make some "skids" to attach to the polymer MOLLE frame that could be deployed for relief when the trail does open up? Hmmmm. Now that has me thinking....

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Mac wasn't wearing his kilt??
    Man, it must have been cold!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the great reports . For those of us that are not winter hammock camping experienced its a continuing education.
    I particularly like the super shelter idea but am not quite clear on the setup. Is the tarp and space blanket one piece or is the space blanket under the tarp and turned up and over on the porch with the plastic on top of the whole business.
    This would be a nice illustration project for our resident illustrator,,hint,hint (-;
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Thanks for the great reports . For those of us that are not winter hammock camping experienced its a continuing education.
    I particularly like the super shelter idea but am not quite clear on the setup. Is the tarp and space blanket one piece or is the space blanket under the tarp and turned up and over on the porch with the plastic on top of the whole business.
    This would be a nice illustration project for our resident illustrator,,hint,hint (-;
    Fourdog made his tarp out of some photographer reflective material that he found a supplier for online. The clear poly is draped over the reflective material tarp and the ends of the poly are gathered together and closed with clothes pins.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Fourdog made his tarp out of some photographer reflective material that he found a supplier for online. The clear poly is draped over the reflective material tarp and the ends of the poly are gathered together and closed with clothes pins.
    Thanks Pizza
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Well, I made it home... thick snow brought me to a halt just north of Columbus yesterday. Today, I drove through a blizzard from SE Ohio all the way to Beckley, WVA. The trip was over 2600 miles round trip, which took seven and a half days! I only drove half of that distance; TZ drove the other half. There is no better companion than TZBrown, whether you are hiking, camping, traveling, or brainstorming gear! He's what my skipper used to call "a good dory mate." Four Dog had good things to say about Tom's way of helping get things done around camp.

Four Dog is another good man to have on your team. He is a wealth of knowledge, a talented teacher, and a bundle of energy. He has many interests, and loves to share experiences. On spending time out of doors in the winter in MN, he is an expert.

We had a fantastic group of people. I wish I could have spent more time with all of them.

You have to be very careful with a leftover head cold when winter camping in MN. I was lucky, but the congestion never left me. I took full advantage of the heated tent, and made certain I did not sweat much. Without an IX sock, I did not want to test my IX rig. OTOH, the SnugPod performed extremely well, as did the mukluks, anorak and three layers of wool shirts. I was cold only once, when I removed my mittens to get into my bunk. Cold nylon can freeze fingers fast!

There are lots and lots of animals running around in the woods in below zero temps! We were way out in the woods, 50 miles from the main road and the last 15 miles of that on dirt roads. Each day, we saw new tracks in the snow from mice, shrew, rabbits, fox, wolf, deer and lynx. Lone Tracker's picture of a song bird's snow angel was astounding to me! I was looking for birds of prey and saw none. On the drive to MN, I saw a couple of dozen hawks and one eagle!

TZBrown loaned me three or four winter camping books, upon which Thing1 pounced with enthusiasm. She and I have already overhauled our waterproof fire & first aid pouches and possibles bags, which we will use at Mt Rogers shortly.

It was a good weekend for new stuff. Four Dog liked his new Canvas Hammock Sock with SEEP, which will be in the video. TZBrown came up with a clever and effective way to vent your breath and avoid condensation on your Top Quilt. Several people had hammock insulation that was a combination of two or more UQs, all of which did well.

Four Dog's demonstration of the Super Shelter was an amazing thing to me... I never would have guessed that we could, with relative ease, provide an enclosed, smoke free, heated space at 40*F to warm a person, or dry out gear. I slept in it for nearly an hour! On the way home, TZ and I came up with several interesting modifications... I may be able to prototype it soon. It will be a lightweight winter tarp that can collect heat from either the sun or your fire. I can't wait to try it out!

Thank you everyone for a fantastic weekend!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Well, I made it home...
    Thank you everyone for a fantastic weekend!

- MacEntyre
    We were honored to have you come from so far and join us in the Frigid Forest!
    It was a pleasure to meet the maker of my prized Baby Orca UQ.
    Certainly, you were best dressed for the part as MacNuk of the North

(I thought I had a pic of you in your full regalia from mukluk to fur, but alas not.) That's Lone Tracker in the background with his DIY recliner chair (very comfortable)

Not all who wander are lost.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast