Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    J
    but in a few days I'll be able to make a few announcements (positive ones I think the HF community will like).
    Ohhhhh what the %^$& you know you can't do teasers like this, now I'm gonna be on the edge till you make the announcements!!!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just a quick note (I'm in the middle of juggling two exams, a project, a paper due in a week, graduate research, TA'ing for a lab class, normal OES orders and now the fabric issues ):

As CB said, I'm currently trying to work with the manufacturer to try and get this fixed, but I'm not hopeful that the issue will be solved in the near term. I'm currently working on getting some hard and fast data to try to pinpoint the issues I've been having, but in a few days I'll be able to make a few announcements (positive ones I think the HF community will like).

I know that several of the other cuben manufacturers are still working on older stocks of fabric so in-stock products may be fine for use. Not trying to scare people, but do be advised that there may be some supply issues in the future. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I absolutely will not ship out a tarp out of fabric I feel is any way compromised or lacking in waterproofness, it's just not ethical and can lead to a dangerous situation.

More to come soon, including the new rig that I'm using for all of my research and fabric testing!
    Man oohh man I cant wait either. Now I have the theme song to 2001 ringing in my head in anticipation of the announcement.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tonejones View Post
    if your going to use this tarp a lot get sil because if you look at spinn wrong it will get a hole.
    Simply untrue.

I have a MacCat Standard in Spinn that I bought in 2008. I proceeded to carry it about 1,700 miles from that point along the AT. For the last three years, it's probably been deployed somewhere around 75-85 times...on trail. I've had branches (small) fall from a height of more than 20' and bounce off of it without leaving any evidence it happened. I have two HF Members as witnesses of the branch incident. It's been poked by branches more times than I could ever count; still no holes.

I agree than Cuben wins the battle for top tarp material. I have a few yards of it waiting to be made into a tarp that I'm quite excited about. Tougher and lighter than the other options for sure! But Spinn is a fine material for a tarp and plenty durable enough for the daily abuse a tarp takes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I guess experiences vary on the spinn issue. I have had similar issues as tonejones in the past when it comes to spinn. One time a guy was walking by my tarp with firewood and twig that was sticking out caught my spinn tarp, and instant tear. My first outing with the tarp too! Main lessons learned: watch who you backpack with, and don't set up in the common areas.

Even with cuben, I am concerned that many folks here are going with the lightest available fabric, spending big bucks on them, and we are going to hear a rash of posts later about fabric failures. Cuben initially had a bad rap because of this that took a while to overcome.

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Even with cuben, I am concerned that many folks here are going with the lightest available fabric, spending big bucks on them, and we are going to hear a rash of posts later about fabric failures.
    That would make total sense. as the amount of money people spend goes up so does their chance to vocalize any complaints they may have.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    One time a guy was walking by my tarp with firewood and twig that was sticking out caught my spinn tarp, and instant tear. My first outing with the tarp too!
    That SUCKS!

I hope the person was decent enough to offer to replace it for you. My original SuperFly (sil) had the same thing happen to it. I was really mad at the time, but I smile every time I see the scar on that tarp now. Even tarps should have a little character.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    ... I smile every time I see the scar on that tarp now. Even tarps should have a little character.
    Good for you. That's my attitude too. Why go into the woods at all, if you don't expect a little dirt, a few scrapes, bruises, rips, and scars?! Be proud of 'em.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    as the amount of money people spend goes up so does their chance to vocalize any complaints they may have.
    This is completely untrue!

Everyone is allowed to voice their concerns/complaints, but there is a total difference in doing it respectfully, and doing it maliciously! But talking it out with the manufacturer via email or PM should always be done first instead of calling them out on a public forum, as every cottage manufacturer here is more than willing to do what they can to make things right, and the beauty of Hammock Forums is those cottage manufacturers are right here with us posting away!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    sorry if i came off as snippy or disrespectful there. I wasn't speaking about this forum, or forums in general, or camping in general, i was just saying that as money spent increases people tend to get more mad if something breaks, whether it's their own fault or not.
    Last edited by backpackingZombie; 03-23-2011 at 15:48. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    i wasn't speaking about this forum, or forums in general, or camping in general, i was just saying that as money spent increases people tend to get more mad if something breaks, whether it's their own fault or not.
    I tend to agree. I won't speak up if the matter is over a small amount but high end items warrant certain expectations and if they are not met, then I'll probably be more vocal about. Of course there is a way to do things but in general I agree with this statement.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast