Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images

buy or trade for AT maps

Can't afford to support the ATC @ 200 bucks for maps, so was wondering if anyone would be willing to loan, sell cheap or gear swap for the set of maps...I have an Osprey Eclipse that was an impulse buy before I got smarter about my research. It's meant for snowboarders I guess It's fairly new and in good shape. Also up for grabs a jetboil, cafe press included that's been used 3 times. PM me for more details if interested.

Hammock
    HHULB
    Tarp
    Mamba Jamba
    Insulation
    Yeti & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Sarah,

Have you checked eBay or Whiteblaze forums for used maps? Many of the thru-hikers will be finishing in the next month and I would say at least once a week I come across AT maps for sale.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    I have an Osprey Eclipse that was an impulse buy before I got smarter about my research. It's meant for snowboarders I guess
    Yeah, but it looks good on you. And none of us have ever made an impulse buy before.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    Rings
    I downloaded some topo maps (free from USGS possibly? I forgot where) for my Garmin GPS and printed them off. Works like a charm.

USGS Store They are down at the bottom of the page under Map Locator.
    Last edited by macadocious; 09-05-2009 at 17:56. Reason: link

Images
    The ATC came out with a lot of new maps this year. So most used maps you buy can be up to 10 years old. I used the old ones and had quite a bit of trouble on my blue blazes because the maps were so outdated. Just something to consider.

I would part with mine, but they have a lot of sentimental value. The lamination is worn off in some areas, and I've marked a lot of short cuts and stuff on them. If you do decide to do some serious blue blazing tohugh let me know. I can easily cut off a couple hundred miles from a thru hike, and can give excellent directions.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    I thought you we using them to wall paper your living room!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Yeah, but it looks good on you. And none of us have ever made an impulse buy before.
    I know right! I've become a much smarter consumer just in the last year though, I'm getting better about buying for what suits MY needs rather than what looks cool.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8484 View Post
    Sarah,

Have you checked eBay or Whiteblaze forums for used maps? Many of the thru-hikers will be finishing in the next month and I would say at least once a week I come across AT maps for sale.
    I did post on WB & trailplace, maybe I will get some more responses as it gets closer to october.

Quote Originally Posted by macadocious View Post
    I downloaded some topo maps (free from USGS possibly? I forgot where) for my Garmin GPS and printed them off. Works like a charm.

USGS Store They are down at the bottom of the page under Map Locator.
    I may try this...

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    The ATC came out with a lot of new maps this year. So most used maps you buy can be up to 10 years old. I used the old ones and had quite a bit of trouble on my blue blazes because the maps were so outdated. Just something to consider.

I would part with mine, but they have a lot of sentimental value. The lamination is worn off in some areas, and I've marked a lot of short cuts and stuff on them. If you do decide to do some serious blue blazing tohugh let me know. I can easily cut off a couple hundred miles from a thru hike, and can give excellent directions.
    Thanks for the heads up. I might possibly have a hook up in New Hampshire who might be willing to loan his out along the way.

p.s. I totally understand the sentimental thing

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    nearly all the thru hikers i see are carrying 'the thru hiker's companion' instead of maps...

you can get it online for free here:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    nearly all the thru hikers i see are carrying 'the thru hiker's companion' instead of maps...

you can get it online for free here:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
    Alright, I'll add on to this, but not to start any form of debate.

This is true. Unless you plan on blue blazing like I do, maps are not necessary. If your heart isn't set on buying them, I would reconsider then. A lot of people try to say they are for safety, but in that case the ATC maps are a joke. Many of them only show a narrow corridor, and cut off anything just a couple miles off the trail. That is why I bought National Geo maps for my side trips. Now that the App pages and Bob MacCaw's book have the elevation profile, one more selling point for the maps is gone. Just something else to consider.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast