Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    So going along the lines of cheap the blue Wallmart pad seems to work for many of you. The quilts look like a great idea but they're not cheap. I already have a tent and all the other stuff but I'm really looking hard at this. I want to sleep this trip. The hard ground just wrecks me.

Few more questions if you will.

1. Under quilts are on the outside of the Hammock?

2. Is it hard to get into a sleeping bag while in a HH?

3. Where do you guys/gals store you stuff. Mostly expensive stuff. Is there enough room in the Hammock? I guess I would just leave my pack next to a tree but I'd want my DSLR in the hammock along with a few other items of interest.

Thanks for all your help!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    1 - Yes.
    2 - Yes.
    3 - My favorite...get a gear hammock. I've made two types: the JRB Pack Cover Gear Hammock and a kids hammock. Or Slowhike made Storage End Caps that hang on the end of the hammock...great idea. Or put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner. Or hang it with your bearbag. Kind of a pain if you realize you need something after it's hung. Or clip it to the end of your hammock with a 'biner. The tarp will keep it dry unless you get windblown rain. Very easy to get to your stuff, though. Or sleep with your extra stuff and stick your non-framed pack under your legs for insulation. Or get a Clark and put your stuff in the pockets. Or sew your own pockets into your hammock. A few pics of this stuff at the bottom of this page.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L View Post
    So going along the lines of cheap the blue Wallmart pad seems to work for many of you. The quilts look like a great idea but they're not cheap. I already have a tent and all the other stuff but I'm really looking hard at this. I want to sleep this trip. The hard ground just wrecks me.

yes. I have some pictures in my gallery of the Potomac underquilt that BlackBishop makes, on HH Explorers.

Your mileage may vary. I have wiggled into a mummy bag. The preferred method now for me and many others is to use an overquilt. You make your bag into an overquilt by unzipping it down to the footbox. Stick feet into footboot, and cover yourself. This is pretty easy.

3. Where do you guys/gals store you stuff. Mostly expensive stuff. Is there enough room in the Hammock? I guess I would just leave my pack next to a tree but I'd want my DSLR in the hammock along with a few other items of interest.
    I bring in a Camelbak, and a small waistpack. At the back and front of the hammock, the ridgeline has a loop. I clip stuff onto this loop, and it's up out of the way of where the rest of me is. (And I drape the Camelbak hose over the ridgeline just above my head for easy access.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-04-2007 at 23:36. Reason: punctuation. My 5rd grade teacher might be reading this.

Images

Thanks for all your help!
    You might need to add extra width at the shoulders with your pad. I do not if I use an UQ, but I do when it is alone. Do a search on the speer SPE. It is a cheap and easy way to make a pad shorter.

Oware makes a good wide pad too.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    The Speer SPE is one fine piece of gear. I have both models. I've used 3 pads in one during really cold weather. Works great:
    www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

OK I got an Explorer Ultralight from the Classified section here. Going to try it out this weekend on a weekend canoe trip. Looking forward to trying it out.
    I don't think I'll have time to mess with any kind of insulation underneath. I may just grab a Wallmart Blue pad I've seen talked about. Will probably end up ordering the Speer SPE for my trip out west though.

I'll let you know how it works out this weekend. Thanks!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    OK I got an Explorer Ultralight from the Classified section here. Going to try it out this weekend on a weekend canoe trip. Looking forward to trying it out.
    I don't think I'll have time to mess with any kind of insulation underneath. I may just grab a Wallmart Blue pad I've seen talked about. Will probably end up ordering the Speer SPE for my trip out west though.

I'll let you know how it works out this weekend. Thanks!
    Cut off 6" triangles on all four corners of your pad. It helps the pad fit better in the hammock environment. You could trim more at the foot end later on. Might also get by with 3/4 the length of
    the pad depending on your height.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-16-2007 at 15:16.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    you can also cut a triangular piece out of the hip area to relieve the buckeling problem common to ccf pads. this may work better on wider pads though. the one from wal mart may be too narrow to bother cutting like this though. it does help alot if you end up going to a wider ccf pad.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Cut off 6" triangles on all four corners of your pad. It helps the pad fit better in the hammock environment. You could trim more at the foot end later on. Might also get by with 3/4 the length of
    the pad depending on your height.

I was out with a Walmart pad a couple days ago. I cut mine in half. I'm 5'5" and figured shoulder to knees would work fine for me.

Temperatures dropped to the low 60s and I was still toasty warm. I also had a windshield reflector under my feet and an inflated pillow for my head; using a fleece bag opened up as a big blanket.

I also think you'd be fine wearing your down quilted jumpsuit under an aluminized mylar nightshirt.

Well got to try out the HH this weekend. Friday night was in the high 40's.
    It was pretty cold but I was perfectly fine in the HH. I wore a knit hat, fleece pants and a fleece pullover. Put my feet in the box of the mummy bag and laid on top of the Blue Walmart pad. It worked perfectly.

Saturday night was not as cold but for some reason my back was wet.
    Also when I got in the Hammock one side was too loose on the tree and I came crashing to the ground. That was fun. I never got very situated the rest of the night because I was scared to move.>LOL.
    I was not quite perfectly on the pad that night. Just wondering why there was condensation Saturday but not Friday?

It was really comfortable however if there was a strong wind or rain I don't see how the rain fly could protect you. It doesn't even cover the Hammock 100%. I'd say about 80% coverage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast