Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    GearGuide 12x12

Questions from a Rookie

I am eager to give hammock camping a try but honestly I have a few concerns.

i am interested in mostly 2 to 3 day trips at the most and I am willing to spend some money to give this a shot but I can’t see sinking $150 dollars or more in something that I might find after one trip or two that it just is not for me. On the flip side if I shoot for a lower end model at $40 to $75 dollars am I setting myself up for failure because of the quality of the equipment.

I am currently considering the following setup any comments or suggestions for a rookie? Also what might be missing from this setup that I really want to make sure I have. I know there are extras that make things nicer but what might I be missing here that will really affect my trip?

Hammock

Tarp Rain Fly

Thanks in Advance!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thatscguy View Post
    I am eager to give hammock camping a try but honestly I have a few concerns.
    Welcome to the forum. That's exactly what we're here for.

I think that is a great starter setup for learning about hammocks. I would say this, though - if you don't really need the bugnet for your initial testing, you might consider getting a TrekLight double instead of the Traveler. The fabric of the HAAB hammocks (TrekLight, ENO, TTTM, etc) feels very nice and they are good hammocks to modify or add options to later on if you do decide hammock camping is for you. They don't come with the bugnet, but it can be added later.

As far as things that might be missing from your list, some bottom insulation comes to mind. Nothing can ruin a good night's sleep in a hammock like being cold. If you don't already have a CCF pad, look into either a GG Thinlight or a Speer, or even the infamous WalMart blue pads.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 04-15-2008 at 15:21. Reason: added last paragraph
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Ditto on what AS said you will need some type of insulation. After I first got my hammock I slept in it in the backyard with nothing under me and it got a bit cool. Grant it I was in without a sleeping bag or anything just the clothes I had on( too many beers), but those cool summer breezes get pretty cold in a hammock. The Trelight, Eno, and TTTM are good hammocks my is similar to those and I enjoy it.
    I actually have slept better in the hammock than I have in my own bed. And if you don't really need the bugnet right now, I would go with one of the others for now and like stated above you can alwways add one later. Oh Yeah WELCOME to the forums.
    Last edited by rigidpsycho; 04-15-2008 at 19:34.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    you should see if you can make it to the SEHHA hang next weekend. look under the gatherings section for more information.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Images
    The hammock costs $40 (plus shipping). Do you know someone who can sew? You could put a hammock together for about $15-20 if you make it yourself, and it is a very easy project that takes little time. (Especially if someone does it for you! )

I think the tarp looks like a great buy, myself. I am sure it isn't the most gossamer, but it is very inexpensive.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would advise a smaller tarp.

I know that everybody advocates getting the biggest tarp possible, but the 12'x12' is really huge.

It designed to be hung diamond style - corner to corner and as such it is almost 17' corner to corner. You will need trees further apart than that to hang it, probably close to 20'.

There are other big tarps that aren't so huge. If you really want 12'x12', then you would be better to get one that isn't cat cut on all 4 sides.

I'm pretty sure that it is a copy of the Kelty Noah 12 or very close to it which doesn't hang very well with a non-diagonal ridgeline. It can be done, but it is loose.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    you should see if you can make it to the SEHHA hang next weekend. look under the gatherings section for more information.
    Did someone say information?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

I know that everybody advocates getting the biggest tarp possible, but the 12'x12' is really huge.

It designed to be hung diamond style - corner to corner and as such it is almost 17' corner to corner. You will need trees further apart than that to hang it, probably close to 20'.

There are other big tarps that aren't so huge. If you really want 12'x12', then you would be better to get one that isn't cat cut on all 4 sides.

I'm pretty sure that it is a copy of the Kelty Noah 12 or very close to it which doesn't hang very well with a non-diagonal ridgeline. It can be done, but it is loose.
    The JRB 8x8 tarp will work great with that hammock for size and at $ 50 is as inexpensive as it gets.... and at 9 oz is way less weight... probably a whole pound lighter...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i agree about the TrekLight, ENO, TTTM, etc, hammocks.
    you may want to get the double. it just seems more comfortable over all to most folks.
    and the SEHHA camp out at hot springs, NC that hooch linked above would be a great place to try out different type hammocks & ask lots of questions if that might work out for you.
    and welcome to HF. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

TiredFeet speaks truth.

Suggestions :

Claytor sells a rectangular tarp that is 7.5' wide and 10' long. (Small rain fly) $40 complete.

JRB has a close-out sale on an 8'x8' sil tarp, diamond shape in use, 10' ridgeline, silnylon. $50 plus shipping.

heavier, but bigger, cut in a hex, from Campor 10' x 10' , $40 plus shipping.

search on tarps on the Campor site and you'll find a variety of sizes, weights, and prices to choose from.
    If weight isn't the issue---for car camping or for just getting a bead on this hammocking thing---you can get by for pretty inexpensive.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 04-15-2008 at 19:49.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast