Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I had them positioned so that the tarp would basically be asym like my hammock. The clips were offset like my body position so my feet didn't hit the tarp and neither did my head. I learned this after getting the footbox of my quilt soaked because it was resting against the tarp wall one rainy night. Osmosis sucks!

The current Superflies have two pulls on each wall, but I still only use one on each side and set-up pretty much like what you see there. Using both of them makes the tarp seem cavernous on the inside. Nice for foul weather and a group.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I had them positioned so that the tarp would basically be asym like my hammock. The clips were offset like my body position so my feet didn't hit the tarp and neither did my head. I learned this after getting the footbox of my quilt soaked because it was resting against the tarp wall one rainy night. Osmosis sucks!

The current Superflies have two pulls on each wall, but I still only use one on each side and set-up pretty much like what you see there. Using both of them makes the tarp seem cavernous on the inside. Nice for foul weather and a group.
    [headslap]OUCH[/headslap] What a good idea! Never thought about it in that way. I always looked at it from the standpoint of having more room under the tarp but not for that purpose...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    Never thought about it in that way.
    Me either....till I woke-up with wet tootsies.
    In that order.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    the current 4 panel pull setup will give more room than just 2. they all skew the tarp when enough pressure is applied to them.

when i stake them out, i don't pull the wall out much, because i don't like the way it skews the sil, but rather just pull them out an inch or 2, this way when the wind blows, the side of the tarp stays put instead of pushing in. the full closure pitch of the sf is still wide enough to where your head and feet should be fine if the walls stay where they're at.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Actually, the WB tarps catch a little flack because they only have 2 tie-outs per side. I think most of the 11' & 12' ridge tarps have 3 or more tie-outs per side. They do help when dealing with the wind.
    that's funny because i designed the sf to be specifically suited for high wind. there's probably the same distance between the 2 corner ties on the sf/mj as there is between the 2 non-door tabs on a swt. in door mode, the swt is just a hex with small doors and 2 ties per side as well. not much difference at all, and i doubt the span between those 2 main corners is any less than it is on the sf.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 04-02-2009 at 11:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    there's probably the same distance between the 2 corner ties on the sf/mj as there is between the 2 non-door tabs on a swt. in door mode, the swt is just a hex with small doors and 2 ties per side as well. not much difference, and i doubt the span between those 2 main corners is any less.
    I've never had any issues with it and you know I prefer to carry less stakes! Been in winds of at least 35mph not a tear yet.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    i still need to take it out in one of these big wind storms, i've had it in good wind before, but it would be nice to see how much it can take. still need to get a wind guage too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hit Long's Peak. It's is ALWAYS windy up there. Pretty sure there is a weather station on the mountain too, so you should be able to get a reliable wind reading.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    MacCat(SWT)BLK
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt,
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    I've been looking more into sil-nylon and there's coated and impregnated nylons. and some that seem to have a poly inside. Which one are they using? I know the impregnated are better by the specs. but what are the tarp makers using? is there a favorite one in this forum? sorry to nerd out. this hammock stuff has got me going too deep. Im hooked.

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    MacCat(SWT)BLK
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt,
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    and can I just post one more message. this will be my 10th so I can view links( pic/vid)... dont follow up on this one.
    thanks everyone...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast