Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

Qs: GrizzBeak or sewn-on, keep 8x10 or hex

Considering some 2QZQ mods.

For mostly clear weather but occasional heavy snow storms, do I want added GrizzBeaks or sewn-on doors, or one of each? Which tarp gets the mods, the 8x10 rectangle or the 11' hex with the 7' baseline? I may sell one after improving the other.

I'm thinking the long sides on the 8x10 would do better with a smaller, lighter sewn door than a heavier GrizzBeak. Do I even need that covered space? I haven't yet tried folding the sides into doors on the rectangle tarp.

Who has tried and likes the tarp hoop pole addition from 2QZQ? That looks like a stormproof mod that is easily left at home during dry weather.

How well does a GrizzBeak do on a hex tarp? Would a pair of 'Beaks fit on both tarps, or are the 'Beaks sized for a specific fit. The hex has taller sides than the rectangle tarp.

Has anyone ask ZQ to sew cuben? At my age, going light is the only way to have an enjoyable trip and the 'Beaks look like they use, shall I say, strong and durable materials that with stakes, double the weight of the tarps.

Some of these questions are specific but I wanted a broader, possibly weight conscious, audience than just the satisfied customers at the 2QZQ sub-forum.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    Considering some 2QZQ mods.

For mostly clear weather but occasional heavy snow storms, do I want added GrizzBeaks or sewn-on doors, or one of each? Which tarp gets the mods, the 8x10 rectangle or the 11' hex with the 7' baseline? I may sell one after improving the other.

I'm thinking the long sides on the 8x10 would do better with a smaller, lighter sewn door than a heavier GrizzBeak. Do I even need that covered space? I haven't yet tried folding the sides into doors on the rectangle tarp.

Who has tried and likes the tarp hoop pole addition from 2QZQ? That looks like a stormproof mod that is easily left at home during dry weather.

How well does a GrizzBeak do on a hex tarp? Would a pair of 'Beaks fit on both tarps, or are the 'Beaks sized for a specific fit. The hex has taller sides than the rectangle tarp.

Has anyone ask ZQ to sew cuben? At my age, going light is the only way to have an enjoyable trip and the 'Beaks look like they use, shall I say, strong and durable materials that with stakes, double the weight of the tarps.

Some of these questions are specific but I wanted a broader, possibly weight conscious, audience than just the satisfied customers at the 2QZQ sub-forum.
    Your use of the desired tarp "mostly clear weather but occasional heavy snow storms" would indicate a tarp that offers the greatest protection with stowable features. I can respond to that as I pursued the same desire awhile back. Note however, that I'm not as weight conscious as "be prepared" conscious. True, some pursue the balance of the two better than others, I've reached a level I'm happy with, you'll have to make your own conclusions on that.
    I hike/camp in four seasons and expect inclement weather. With snow, it can be a gentle dusting or a driven wind blown torrent leaving either inches or feet for the tarp to deal with. The center pole mod provides the necessary lateral strength to the tarp to dump the snow avoiding the typical cave-in scenario. It also provides the spring tension the tarp requires to stay taut without the need of tie out tensioner devices. Rain is another issue and often more insidious than snow.

One can't count on wind direction in a crazy snow storm therefore sewn on doors or Grizz beaks can counter a tarp set in a less than optimum direction. I prefer our sewn on doors, mostly for the storage they provide and maximum protection offered, over a folded end panel most tarps might create. I place everything inside, either hung from the hammock suspension or tarp ridgeline. The vestibule designed sewn on doors provide that space. Sewn on doors are quickly deployed and quickly stowed unlike the fiddle factor of the Grizz beaks. True, beaks can be left at home, offer the same storage as sewn on doors, but are also designed to be used with smaller tarps than typical sized winter tarps.

The Grizz beaks are made differently to fit the rectangular tarps. You would need a Cat Cut Grizz beak for the Hex and a Rect fit Grizz beak for the Rect tarp.

We don't sew Cuben. Can't help you out there.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

I would like to get a grizzbeak for my hex tarp because I like the idea of having a little more ground room for a vestibule. the door's would be lighter but they take away ground room.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXwag View Post
    I would like to get a grizzbeak for my hex tarp because I like the idea of having a little more ground room for a vestibule. the door's would be lighter but they take away ground room.
    Our sewn doors are designed large enough to create a vestibule. ZQ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts