Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

How do you stow your tarp lines??

Hi All,
    I have recently gotten my hands on an OES Deluxe Tarp. I love it!! But I have a few questions/concerns....
    I'm using masons line for my tarp guylines. I have found that the lines tangle TERRIBLY when I stuff the tarp back into its stuff sack. I am curious how you folks manage your lines.... How do you hank the cordage so its easy to put away, but easy to retrieve without all the nasty tangles.

What do you do to tie off to the trees? Do you run one long ridgeline and then use prussiks to adjust the tarp? If you do, how much line to do carry for the ridgeline? How do you attach the prussiks to the tarp?

Also, I currently have LineLocs on my lines, but I wonder if there is a simpler way to create a locking knot. (I have tried the taught line hitch. It slips too easily, but maybe someone has a better way to do it. I might be doing it wrong.

I know its a lot of questions, but I am very curious how more experienced hangers do it. I want my system to be lightweight, simple and reliable.

Thanks in advance.
    "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured"

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Daisy chain works well, but takes a little bit of time....

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I remove mine and wrap them individualy
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i like braided mason's twine a lot for some things, but i find it too flexible to pack without using some form of reel to wrap it around to prevent it from tangling/knotting. i do carry 20' or so, wrapped around a pill bottle (filled w/cotton balls) for "just in case" uses.
    i have made several continuous loops of MT for larks heading "stuff" to my RL. i have made a couple of 6" nacrabeiners of MT that i attach my tarp to my CRL (1.75 zing-it, under the tarp) using klemheist knots.
    my 4 corner guylines are triptease w/tensioners prussiked to tarp (superfly). i use 1/8" shock cord for pull-outs and door closures when needed.
    Last edited by flatline; 02-13-2011 at 00:55.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I wind the excess line around my hand a few times, then wrap the line around itself and tuck it in. Not much trouble with tangles. I use tie outs on both ends for the ridgeline, with figure 9 biners. So far the tautline knot works well for me. I use the tautline to tie up my raft and I've never had trouble with slipping. The nice thing about the tautline is that is the water rises, I can easily tighten the line to take up slack. Same thing on the tarp line if it rains and gets slack.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use Zing it for the guylines and Dynaglide for the tarp ridgeline.
    To store the tarp guylines I leave them attached to the tarp and wrap the cord around my hands using my pinky and thumb in a figure 8 motion and then leave a little to wrap around itself.
    I use a continuous over the tarp ridgeline with two prusik loops for the tarp ends. Tarp gets connected to the prusiks with mini biners. One end of the ridgeline I tie to the tree with a slipped buntline and the other with a truckers hitch. To secure the guylines to the tarp I use a type of tautline hitch and use a marlin spike hitch to connect the guyline to the stake.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH UL Bckpker -2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Spinn Mambajamba
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.W & No Sniv
    Suspension
    DC's & Whoopies
    The tie outs I use spear no tangle line, when I go to pack up I use the figure eight motion that Odds spoke of.

For the CRL I use this system here, I love the knot bone on one end and the tensioner on the other vary simple and easy set up! Ten to attach the tarp some small biners or just soft shackles prussiks to the CRL.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    Hi All,
    I have recently gotten my hands on an OES Deluxe Tarp. I love it!! But I have a few questions/concerns....
    I'm using masons line for my tarp guylines. I have found that the lines tangle TERRIBLY when I stuff the tarp back into its stuff sack. I am curious how you folks manage your lines.... How do you hank the cordage so its easy to put away, but easy to retrieve without all the nasty tangles.
    I use zing & just shove the tarp back in stuff sack

What do you do to tie off to the trees? Do you run one long ridgeline and then use prussiks to adjust the tarp? If you do, how much line to do carry for the ridgeline? How do you attach the prussiks to the tarp?
    2nd prusik method in this diagram
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16650

I think I cut 6-8ft

Also, I currently have LineLocs on my lines, but I wonder if there is a simpler way to create a locking knot. (I have tried the taught line hitch. It slips too easily, but maybe someone has a better way to do it. I might be doing it wrong.
    larkshead to tarp tie out - go down to stake. make a turn around the stake then back up to the tarp tie out thru it - a couple of turns around the line & use a slippery hitch

I know its a lot of questions, but I am very curious how more experienced hangers do it. I want my system to be lightweight, simple and reliable.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    "I have found that the lines tangle TERRIBLY"
    Spread the fingers out of your left hand and use your right hand to wrap the line around the thumb and little finger in a figure eight pattern. Then wrap the last six to nine inches around the bundle and you should be good.

"What do you do to tie off to the trees?"
    I find the Nite Ize small Figure 9 rope tighteners to work pretty good. The LineLocs you have should probably work just as well.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Snakeskins for your tarp! (Mine are made of $1 bin mosquito netting.)

I use tarp tie outs to the trees w/ very small figure 9's and 6" shock cord tensioners. Mason line for the stakeouts.

With snakeskins, start at one end, wad up the corners, drape the line into a fold, roll/wad up the corner to the ridgeline (in my case w/o a ridgeline, the top seam of the tarp), pull the snakeskin over the end of the tarp. Move out another foot or so and wad/roll/drape another few feet, pull the snakeskin further. Go to the other end, repeat. Unhitch from the tree, shove it into a mesh stuff sack (i actually use a mini black bishop bag for this). For my 10' tarp this takes at the most 2 minutes, usually less.

Next time out, tie off to the trees (while in the snakeskins), step back and check that it is centered like you want it, use the centered tarp as your guide for hanging the hammock, open the snakeskins and all the line falls untangled to the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast