Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Purchasing a hammock in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeMix View Post
    Tenth Wonder Hammocks, that might be your best/cheapest shot. They have an ebay page, but IIRC it was a few bucks cheaper from their own homepage.
    http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/
    Great guys to deal with too, great! Oh, and no affilitation with the company other than extreme satisfaction from the stuff i bought from them! Quality gear, maybe a bit on the heavy side tarp-wise, but I really like them anyway.

Check it out, I got the Sargasso tarp, and an XL-hammock. Wish I would've opted for the Hornet-hammock instead with the integrated bugnet though.

Weird that not more people have mentioned them? Too small of a company maybe? I like that thought.

Good luck! / SwedeMix
    Any idea on where to get a UQ as well? I sleep a bit cold so I don't think a sleeping pad will cut it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    What type of underquilt are you looking for (down, snythetic, full, 3/4)? How much do you want to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    What type of underquilt are you looking for (down, snythetic, full, 3/4)? How much do you want to spend?
    I think full, down or synthetic doesn't matter to me. I'd like to not spend a ton to start with but I realize they don't come cheap.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If I were you, I'd try the pad first. I'm an extremely cold sleeper, and I was never cold with a Therm-a-Rest in my hammock. The main challenge is to keep the shoulders warm. Actually, pads are easier to use and keep you as warm, if not warmer (for the weight) than underquilts. I don't want to discourage you from buying an underquilt, but an underquilt will be a lot more expensive, unless you make your own. And there definitely is a learning curve with underquilts. I have been using one for quite a while now, but I still have to fiddle with it occasionally since even a small air gap will drastically reduce the warmth. This doesn't happen with a pad.

If I were you, I'd try the pad first. I'm an extremely cold sleeper, and I was never cold with a Therm-a-Rest in my hammock. The main challenge is to keep the shoulders warm. Actually, pads are easier to use and keep you as warm, if not warmer (for the weight) than underquilts. I don't want to discourage you from buying an underquilt, but an underquilt will be a lot more expensive, unless you make your own. And there definitely is a learning curve with underquilts. I have been using one for quite a while now, but I still have to fiddle with it occasionally since even a small air gap will drastically reduce the warmth. This doesn't happen with a pad.
    Alright I'll try my pad first. I'll be using it in summer so I won't freeze to death regardless.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    I think full, down or synthetic doesn't matter to me. I'd like to not spend a ton to start with but I realize they don't come cheap.
    There are not a whole lot of full-length underquilt makers out there. If you don't want to order in the US, the only other option would be UK Hammocks. I see they have a special offer for the full-length underquilt at the moment. I doubt you'll find a full-length down underquilt cheaper when ordering from Germany.

DD Hammocks offers an underblanket, which is cheaper, but basically just a (heavy) blanket.

Apart from that, I don't know of any other underquilt sources in Europe. If somebody knows of another address, I'm all ears, too.

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Sorry, went off the map for a while there... But on your UQ-question, I really have no good answer. Been pondering the same myself, and tried various DIY projects by using sleepingbags. None very good, but they kept me warm.
    I'm actually a bigger user of pads myself, going to try the SPE (Segmented Pad Extender) next and see what happens. Do a search for it, this just might be it, seems like it would work for me at least.

Lots of people prefer UQ's for the comfort, but I'm kinda swinging the other way on this subject, I think pads are great for the flatness of lay and keeping fabric and netting away from my body. It is however REALLY hard to avoid some coldspots if/when you roll off the mat in your sleep. That's where the SPE comes in, I'm going to try to make one propably this week and see how that turns out.

But that UQ on UKHammocks looks so good, I completely understand and respect the pricetag due to the work involved but can't afford to buy anymore expensive things for my gear stash - lil' wifey would kill me in my sleep..

Best of luck in your endeavours, and let us know how it went, ok?

Cheers / SwedeMix
    People on this forum are absolutely incredible. I wish we could discover new land and inhabit it all together. :-) - Deadphans

Hammock
    Byer Moskito and Barbados
    Tarp
    Byer Rain Fly
    Suspension
    Byer Micro Rope
    http://www.amazonas.eu/en/
    Amazonas has all kinds of hammocks
    Danny Hammock
    www.ByerofMaine.com

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hammock View Post
    http://www.amazonas.eu/en/
    Amazonas has all kinds of hammocks
    Yes, they do have 3 different models. But...

• I wouldn't go for a travel hammock with strings. I had one, and the strings constantly entangled. It was annoying and very time consuming. I never got them back to the original state.
    • I read reviews of the model with the integrated mosquito netting, and most reviewers seemed to agree that the quality was not great and prone to ripping etc. (which is not surprising with that price tag). Plus they have strings.
    • The non-string hammocks look like the typical parachute hammocks as sold by e.g. Ticket to the Moon. I'd compare the measurements of all available parachute hammocks and go for the the longest. My experience with this type of hammock was that it felt too short.

And of course, none of the hammocks has a double layer. Seeing that the OP will probably use a pad, I would go with a double layered hammock from UK Hammocks (although I never tried one). Or DIY.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Seeing that the OP will probably use a pad, I would go with a double layered hammock from UK Hammocks (although I never tried one). Or DIY.
    +1 on the UK Hammocks.
    I've got the Woodsman X (double) and it's fantastic.
    If you're looking for a bargain hammock, though, the Woodsman X (double) costing £125 might be on the expensive side.
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast