Images

HH Super Shelter Hot weather

Yep, as can be seen by some other threads about being "HOT", it's that time of year ( in MS anyway) when the last thing on my mind is keeping warm in a hammock. Though admittedly, only a little over a week ago on Memorial day weekend, I needed just a little something by about 0300, what with wind and rain and lows possibly in the very high 60s-low70s. I got by just great with my CS Warbonnet torso UQ with one layer. The whole thing weighed a little over 9 oz and was MORE than warm enough. The question is how low will she go, and I suspect maybe somewhere in the 50s. I won't be able to find out for a while, though.

It occurred to me, as the rain and wind blew Mem day weekend, that my SS would have functioned well also. Maybe with just the UC, if condensation would not be too much of a problem due to no heat sheet. So any way, I was playing around with it this morning. Way too hot with the full system, which is what was in my stuff sack. The UC, OCF pad plus kidney/torso pads and heat sheet. First I pulled the kidney/torso pads out. But before I even tried it with out the extra pads, I just pulled it( the entire SS) too the side, compressing it with one strap in the midddle.

That was much better. With temps by now probably about 80 in the shade, no breeze.

So, those who hike certain places, even in the south, might need a little something during cool snaps, especially in the mountains. The WBUQ with one layer of CS is super convenient, as I can vent it or even push it below my butt from within the hammock. The SS can just be pulled aside, though it might still slightly interfere with a breeze. Compressing it down with a couple of straps mostly solves that. But this is either on or off( too the side). I don't know how I would vent it except by putting some clothing down there hoping to cause a large gap.

But, one thing I have never tried is the UC by itself. It might be all that is needed for windy/rainy mid 60s- 70s. Though again, I'm afarid condensation might be a problem.

1st pic, I am pulling it too the side so that it can be seen how this works, though obviously when I let go it will be against the side of the hammock. When you get in, it stays up higher than you are. Use a few straps and you could make it a tight narrow bundle mostly out of the way.

2nd, a view from the foot end with SS to the side.
    3rd, SS untied and ready to place HH back inside SS. You can see the upper left edge of UC and just above that, the HH net, just outside the UC.

4th, HH now back inside SS. Notice how well the sides are protected from wind and rain by the sil-nylon UC.

Last two, foot end view of HH inside SS Undercover. Of course, between the UC and the hammock are the OCF pad and Heatsheet, and whatever else ( kidney OCF pad, jackets etc) you might want to put in there. So you can have zero insulation and very little breeze interference by doing this, and still have something handy for if it turns cold and wet. As for in between temps, all I can think of is removing pads or everything removed except Undercover. But then that interferes with the convenience of every thing left connected and in one sack, and condensation may prove to be a problem. But, if a SS is what you have, you can probably be ready for a wide range of conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH BULA
    Tarp
    Stock currently
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    I realize this is an old post but does the space blanket have a non reflective side? I don't see anyone ever mentioning putting the heat sheet upside down just for vapor barrier use only and not reflecting heat back. I assume it would reflect some heat due to being vapor barrier but I would assume much less since not reflective.

Just pondering
    "Let the liquor do the thinking" Jim Lahey TPB

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FRGus723 View Post
    I realize this is an old post but does the space blanket have a non reflective side? I don't see anyone ever mentioning putting the heat sheet upside down just for vapor barrier use only and not reflecting heat back. I assume it would reflect some heat due to being vapor barrier but I would assume much less since not reflective.

Just pondering
    Good question. I don't know. I assume the orange side of the HS is not refelective, but I don't really know. I think the WM space blanket is reflective on both sides.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Man reading the Hammock Forums is getting almost like it was when I had to read all of those DoD (Department of Defense) manuals, articles, lists, etc.

The DoD invented acronyms and use them with total abandon. If it is possible to use an acronym instead of a simple word they will do it gleefully.

In reading anything internal to DoD, I always found it imperative to keep an acronym dictionary under my right hand for fast reference.

Well, in reading the first post of this thread, I ran across the following acronyms:

1. CS - meaning unknown to me
    2. UQ - Under quilt
    3. SS - Super Shelter
    4. UC - UnderCover
    5. OCF - finally found this in the Hammock Forums acronym list - Open Cell Foam
    6. WBUQ - finally figured this out - WarBonnet Under Quilt
    7. HH - Hennessy Hammock(s)

It is quickly getting to the point on the forums that I will have to print out the Forums Acronym list and keep the print handy.

Maybe it isn't just DoD, but it's something to do with being human??

I know that acronyms are quicker to type when they are second nature to you, but is it possible to keep their use down to those in the forums list??

I have noticed that more than one person seems to invent acronyms as they type. I'm sure that the writer knows exactly what is meant and about 50% of the time, I can guess (rightly or wrongly ????).

But I really feel sorry for anybody who hasn't devoted hours and hours to reading to become familiar with the acronyms.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    1. CS - meaning unknown to me
    CS = Climashield. I only know this because I have one and I know what went inside. LOL, couldn't help myself.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Good question. I don't know. I assume the orange side of the HS is not refelective, but I don't really know. I think the WM space blanket is reflective on both sides.
    Re: Acronyms: Yeah, sorry for my laziness. HS=Heat Sheet was an answer to the question about the same. WM=Walmart ( Don't know if either of these are official HF(HammockForums)acronyms.

Also, though mostly SS seems to =SuperShelter these days, I think it was originally Snake Skins.

You are right, a nooby would have a real struggle without a list.

• + New Posts