Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikestrip View Post
    Looking to combine two lengths (3x9) of PU Coated Ripstop to create a 6x9 tarp. ... I'm not sure the machine will tolerate the thickness of the coated material. how do the DIY'ers solve the strength issue?
    Looking forward to hearing various successes!
    What type of needle are you using? You likely want a size 14 sharp point. (The sharp pointed needle is for sewing tight weaves as it will cut through the fibres), vs a ball-pointed needle which is for sewing looser fabrics.)

Ripstop is pretty light so you normally use a size 11 needle but as you have 3 layers you might try going up to 14.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The equivalent of an easy bake oven...
    What's funny is, your previous post is what made me hit Craigs list yesterday, which caused me to stumble into the vintage Singer I picked up last night.

Funny how those chain reactions happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Desilva View Post
    What type of needle are you using? You likely want a size 14 sharp point. (The sharp pointed needle is for sewing tight weaves as it will cut through the fibres), vs a ball-pointed needle which is for sewing looser fabrics.)

Ripstop is pretty light so you normally use a size 11 needle but as you have 3 layers you might try going up to 14.
    That's great info. The girl at JoAnne told me to use a ball-point! I need to stock up on Needles for my new (vintage) machine!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    The girl at JoAnne told me to use a ball-point!
    She may be referring to what is known as the "Universal Ball Point" which is not the same as a ball point needle. The universal is a hybrid which has sharp and ball point qualities. For most uses they are fine. However, if you ever decide to work on knits or highly stretch fabrics (not likely when making gear) you will want to use a true ball point. The true ball point is not recommended for tight weaves like ripstop as it will not pierce the fabric easily or properly. But true sharps are getting harder and harder to find except in specialty shops. Look for the term "Universal" or "Sharp" on the labeling. Those needles will do what you want.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    She may be referring to what is known as the "Universal Ball Point" which is not the same as a ball point needle. The universal is a hybrid which has sharp and ball point qualities. For most uses they are fine. However, if you ever decide to work on knits or highly stretch fabrics (not likely when making gear) you will want to use a true ball point. The true ball point is not recommended for tight weaves like ripstop as it will not pierce the fabric easily or properly. But true sharps are getting harder and harder to find except in specialty shops. Look for the term "Universal" or "Sharp" on the labeling. Those needles will do what you want.
    Thanks Rev!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12