Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Superior Hiking Trail?

Outside of Shug, has anyone else hiked the Superior Hiking Trail along the N. Shore of Lake Superior in MN? Favorite sections?

Back in the '80s a favorite area of mine was the region from Tettegouche to Temperance.

Maybe an early to mid October trip to rediscover of this area. But after reading Grizz's Picture Rock post my interest for another new place has been kindled. The hiking & stealth camping is all inland in my home area of L. Superior. To hike & camp along the Lake would be nice.
    Last edited by koaloha05; 08-30-2008 at 00:06.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    fast answer, no.

But I'm a Minnesota lad, transplanted to the land of 10 lakes (lost a few orders of magnitude.) Used to spend a week in the BWCA every year (early fall after the 1st frost had already come and killed off insects). I was torn this year between going all the way up to the Superior Hiking Trail, or Pictured Rocks. PRNL, check. Next year I'm thinking SHT. Bound to be more remote and more rugged than PRNL, as beautiful as that was.

see ya up there

Grizz

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've hiked all of the SHT and the Border Route over the last 2 years. Most of the SHT I did with my tent before converting to a hammock. I've hammocked the northern section of the SHT from Otter Lk rd to Grand Marais.

There is a trip report that includes a picture of my hammock setup on the lakewalk section of the SHT here:

http://bwcaboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=986

Favorite sections of the SHT? Its all good. The South Carlson pond campsite was the best hammock setup I've found so far. See attached photo. The campsite is high-and-dry on a hill, but close to water and wildlife. In general I prefer the areas north of Grand Marais because there are a lot fewer people. Tettegouche is beautiful, but good luck finding a campsite on a weekend.

There is an very active SHT Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiker/
    I suggest you browse past postings from that group for ideas and hints.

--Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice report Kurt! I've not had the fortune to see a moose in the wild!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I hiked a section of the SHT in July 2007. I don't have my maps in front of me but we walked for three days south and wound up in Beaver Bay. It was fantastic. It is really beautiful out there and a hammock hanger's paradise. There are no shortage of trees.

FreeTheWeasel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Outside of Shrug, has anyone else hiked the Superior Hiking Trail along the N. Shore of Lake Superior in MN? Favorite sections?

Back in the '80s a favorite area of mine was the region from Tettegouche to Temperance.

Maybe an early to mid October trip to rediscover of this area. But after reading Grizz's Picture Rock post my interest for another new place has been kindled. The hiking & stealth camping is all inland in my home area of L. Superior. To hike & camp along the Lake would be nice.
    Hey koaloha05,
    I really like the area you write of. Finland, MN area is my favorite. From section 13 to Caribou River. George Crosby SP is another fave. Although there is a wee fee, it is more rustic and has some hidden treasures within its boundrys. Horseshoe Ridge is a "go-to" site for me on the SHT. Has a real good hammock spot.... check my pix in my gallery to see. My preference is to be inland and in the forest. Just something about it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cold along the lake

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Maybe an early to mid October trip to rediscover of this area...snip... To hike & camp along the Lake would be nice.
    One thing to keep in mind is that it is always 10+ degrees colder near the lake than inland. Early to mid-October will be chilly up there, probably a frost every night. It won't get much colder along the lake at night, but the wind off the water will be very cold. I have never spent a colder night in my hammock than the night I spent on the lakewalk, and it was in the 40's.

IMHO, you'd do better farther inland. Shug suggested Finland, and that is far enough in that you will be protected from the lake winds, so it'd be a good choice.

Hike your own hike, but do consider when you are going...

--Kurt

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hey koaloha05,
    I really like the area you write of. Finland, MN area is my favorite. From section 13 to Caribou River
    Shug
    I like that area too, though Section 13 has the most crowded campsite I've EVER seen on the SHT. The night I stayed there, there must've been 15+ tents. People everywhere. Its become the premier rock-climbing spot in Minnesota, so lotsa people with ropes & harnesses. The other issue is that it is very dry on the North Shore right now. Sec 13 has no water anywhere close. That could change if we get some rain, but something to consider.

Just a caveat - great section of the trail, but koaloha you may not want to plan to camp at Sec 13.

I really enjoyed the long boardwalk over the beaver pond between sec 13 and Finland. Unbelievable spot.

--Kurt

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I like that area too, though Section 13 has the most crowded campsite I've EVER seen on the SHT. The night I stayed there, there must've been 15+ tents. People everywhere. Its become the premier rock-climbing spot in Minnesota, so lotsa people with ropes & harnesses. The other issue is that it is very dry on the North Shore right now. Sec 13 has no water anywhere close. That could change if we get some rain, but something to consider.

Just a caveat - great section of the trail, but koaloha you may not want to plan to camp at Sec 13.

I really enjoyed the long boardwalk over the beaver pond between sec 13 and Finland. Unbelievable spot.

--Kurt
    Yeah, I have never camped at Section 13 ..... I just enjoy passing through it! Gets really windy up there.
    I did that boardwalk on a misty, windy night once and never seeing it before thought it would never end. It was thrilling! Then came across that huge boulder sitting by itself not long after that crossing. Sweet.
    A terrific section.
    Shug of the ShuffleStep
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I live ~1/2mi and 350ft above the Southshore of L. Superior. Definitely warmer than along the Lake but usually with a stronger breeze. We just had the first real rain over the last couple days. Same front that gave the Arrowhead region some moisture. Not sure if the open fire ban in the easter 2/3 of the BWCA will be lifted unless we have a wet Sept. One of the nice aspects of hiking this area is the normally available sources of water. I'm a wimp and prefer to carry a water purifier rather than a significant load of water. Good to know about Sec13 lack of water.

Shug, the misty walk on boardwalk. One of those great moments that just happens.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast